Black Phosphate Etching

This area is open to"How-To" section only for tutorials on fixes, etc. (no profanities/etc.). NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

ABQTBird

Black Phosphate Etching

Post by ABQTBird »

This is a new thread based on this thread:http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... php?t=7107

I have put together a web page showing my attempt at recreating "black phosphate" etched parts, as described by Jim Wulf.

Take a look here:http://www.southsandia.com/forum/blackphosphate/

I hope you find it interesting.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
1962 Corinthian White Hardtop, Medium Chestnut Metallic #89 Leather, A/C, P/W
2003 Premium Torch Red/Performance White HT, Partial Accent Interior, 1 of 47.
Past T-Bird: 1960 Convertible, 1974-1978
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Cool stuff Tom! The bolts turned out great and the finish looks identical to original to me anyway.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

We need to get this into the Scoop!
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Beach Bum
Location: North Floridia Gulf Coast on the beach south of Tallahassee

Post by Beach Bum »

Tom,

Great stuff! And the write-up on your process is very clean and complete. Nice to see a way to do some restoration that only costs a few bucks for a change.
-
<b> -- J.R.</b>

current cars:
1963 Thunderbird HT being converted to 5-speed man
1968 Mustang GT 3-spd man
1968 Mustang GT auto
1967 Mustang auto
1981 El Camino 3-spd man
1986 Camaro IROC Z T-top auto
1998 Camaro T-top 5-spd man
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Hi Tom,

Great stuff!! Just curious but is this process anything like in the silver jewelry market where they use liver of sulfur to "age" the silver?

John
Professional Pic Whore

ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Yes, Liver of Sulfur (what a weird name, must come from the alchemy days) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_of_sulfur is a tarishing agent that contains various chemicals, most notably, sulfides. Silver reacts with with sulfide compounds to form silver sulfide, or tarnish. Sulfides can also be used to remove tarnish. Tarn-X is a good example. It contains thiourea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn-x another sulfide compound. So when you apply Tarn-X, you are creating a soluble sulfide layer that is easily wiped off. If you leave silver in Tarn-X too long, you will damage the surface beyond repair, as I have done while cleaning some silver coins. You will also notice when using Tarn-X that you get a rotten egg smell. That is hydrogen sulfide, a product of the reaction.

By the way, I love your black paint with the chrome wheels. My 62 is Corinthian White, and I hate it. When it comes time to repaint, I am either going to go bright white, or perhaps chestnut metallic to match the interior. My 14 year-old son want to drive it. So, we are just going to make a driver out of it an make a few changable mods to make it look cool for him.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

This interests me...

I have a few questions from the page you set up to describe the process. I hope you don't mind that I've taken quotes from your site.

"When phosphoric acid, or H3PO4, reacts with iron, the phosphate group precipitates onto the surface of the iron forming Fe3(PO4)2, or iron phosphate, and releases hydrogen gas."

Is the hydrogen gas released at all flammable and is there enough gas produced that it could possibly combust?

The iron phosphate is black in color but being only several microns thick, offers only some corrosion resistance and is commonly oiled to provide additional corrosion resistance. Since the oil will eventually dry out, it can instead be clear coated with a flat or satin clear coat for lasting protection. This process should not be confused with the "black oxide" process which uses chemical bases at elevated temperatures to grow a hard layer of Fe3O4 (magnatite) on the surface."

What would be the outcome if you elevated the temperature in the chemical makeup you used for the phosphorous process? Would you be able to use these same chemicals to get a "black oxide" finish? Would this finish not be desirable to the phosphorous process as it would have a harder outer shell to resist marring it's finish, correct stock finish not being the priority here?

One of the reasons I ask is so that I can apply this process on other projects. I'd like to have different finish options that I could play with to get the desired effect.

I guess I should have payed more attention in chemistry class!!! :oops:
ABQTBird wrote:By the way, I love your black paint with the chrome wheels. My 62 is Corinthian White, and I hate it. When it comes time to repaint, I am either going to go bright white, or perhaps chestnut metallic to match the interior. My 14 year-old son want to drive it. So, we are just going to make a driver out of it an make a few changable mods to make it look cool for him.
Thanks! I thought the sportiness of the wheel was a nice contrast to the classic elegance of the lines of the car. The extensive bright work that the car originally came with really helps give definition to the beautiful lines of our generation 'Bird. An aggressive stance just seals the deal!!!:mrgreen:

John
Last edited by novanutcase on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Pic Whore

TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Tom, this is such a great and well-done "How-to", I'm going to move this to the Tech area as an easy reference for all in the future. ;-)
Thanks a lot for sharing it with the group -
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Is the hydrogen gas released at all flammable and is there enough gas produced that it could possibly combust?
Yes, the hydrogen is flammable but given the amount produced, I don't think it presents a hazard. I will experiment with that. Sounds kind of fun. I would be more worried about the acetone than the hydrogen.
What would be the outcome if you elevated the temperature in the chemical makeup you used for the phosphorous process? Would you be able to use these same chemicals to get a "black oxide" finish? Would this finish not be desirable to the phosphorous process as it would have a harder outer shell to resist marring it's finish, correct stock finish not being the priority here?
The black oxide finish is a different process. It took me awhile to figure out that it was different. It uses bases instead of acids and apprarently is far nastier than the phophate process.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_oxide I think black oxide is what you find on the chrome-vanadium impact sockets, some higher end tools, and even dry-wall screws.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

First class contribution there Tom... definitely Scoop worthy!

Will try at next opportunity, but initially it seems a bit more process efficient and outcome robust than the Eastwood kit I've used for years, and the pictures suggest a truer texture to original factory/production coating.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

Thanks to all who have looked at the technique. After an 8 year hiatus, I am working on my '62 again. The wife said fix it up or get it out. It seems like such a formidable project, but I am back to taking it one step at a time. The car is complete in the sense that everything is there, and I have already done a lot of mechanical work. I even had the transmission rebuilt after it lost drive and would only run in low. That set me back 4 grand. At that point I knew I couldn't sell it or I would take huge loss. I paid $3200 for it in 2001. I will post some pictures of it as soon as I get it out of the garage and cleaned up.

I am working on another how-to that may be old hat to some, but will show an inexpensive technique to convert from road draft tube to PCV that is reversible for the purists out there.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

I just thought of something that might be interesting to try. Navel Jelly is nothing more than a suspension of phosphoric acid. I may work slower, but I'll see if it works.
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
tbird

Post by tbird »

This is my take on original looking bolts with the S-2 finish. The one on the left is done with the old Eastwood kit but not oiled as some times I don't want the oil finish, the centre bolt is a AMK reproduction with their S-2 finish the label has the part info, the right bolt is the Eastwood finish with their oil finish that they use to supply with the kit a number of years ago.

Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
ABQTBird

Post by ABQTBird »

For those who have used the Eastwood kit, did it look as perfect and innocuous as this picture? Was there any bubbling?
Tom in Albuquerque
61-63 Forum Moderator
tbird

Post by tbird »

Tom
Got out my old Eastwood blackening kit today and found that the liquid had a lot of Grey sludge that had settled to the bottom leaving the liquid a light Greenish colour. Took a new lock washer that had been cleaned in a vibratory bowl filled with Walnut shells and dipped it, found that it did not produce any hydrogen bubbles the finish also did not get real Black. The finish looks very thin the chemical may be spent as it is old and has done many fasteners over the years but do not remember it ever fizzing.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars