Unlocking process after winter storage

This area is for posting questions/information concerning the newest generation year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: VicRattlehead

cwlieske

Unlocking process after winter storage

Post by cwlieske »

2002 - 2005 Retro owner rolled up the windows, got out, closed and locked the doors, then using the remote, opened the trunk. He disconnected the battery for winter storage and then closed the trunk. Now this spring he needs to open the driver door to get to the emergency unlock devise behind the driver door.
The window is up into the channel but probably won't drop down when he tries to open the driver door. Will the window drop without power? If not, can he still get the door open without damage to the weather stripping? What are his options?
mcgsxr

Post by mcgsxr »

Forgive me, I don't own a modern Bird, but can he not just open the door with the key?

My Dad has a 2006 Lincoln LS V8, and although it is power locks, I imagine the door will still open with the key, even with the battery out.
Rehomed - 1969 Red Landau Tudor survivor, 34K original miles. TBird Registry #37047
cwlieske

Post by cwlieske »

Yes, he can unlock the door using the key. The windows go up into weather stripping and once you pull the handle to get in or out, the window drops down maybe 1/2" to clear the weather stripping. With the battery disconnected, the window won't drop down like it should so we're wondering how much damage will be done by opening the door while the window is fully up into the weather stripping.
vince

Post by vince »

Killed the battery in mine once and it is a little puckering at first but the door does open without damage being done.
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress