Labor of love

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Who's silver is that?

John
Professional Pic Whore

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

John its Omni. It has lots of large metal flake and is a stock blind. I can get you numbers if you like.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Joe you are a life saver, or maybe a toots-e-roll. The Trizact worked out great!
Got a pad for the DA and I was off like a herd turtles.
Water supplied by my little dripper guy hooked to the hose.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Glad you liked the Tricact sanding system. I was in a hurry to get my 57 together and start driving it and need to resand with 2000 & 2500 and polish again. Always a spot or two I miss the first time over. I make such a huge mess with the buffer, I postpone that job as long as possible.

Post some more pictures as the car comes together!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Joe: "such a huge mess" Amen brother! Right now I am fighting the metal flake trying to get it even. I have weighed it, measured it and still trying to get it even from one end of the car to the other.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I've found larger flakes to be more difficult. I used an agitating cup years ago that seemed to help, but any one or all of: 1/4" ball bearings in the cup, a bit more air, wider fan, and a little more reducer can help depending on all the other variables that come into play. The last one I did ended up with the color being applied a bit dry and rougher than I liked, but it was even and ended up OK with no striping but needed extra coats of clear & more sanding and more work to finish the job. Wish I would have hat the Trizact for that job.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who slings compound all over the shop!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Cut and buff. Before
And After.
B piller sparkle
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

On the onset of cut and buff I thought things were fine.
But this tight shot shows scratches.
I really don?t want to have to re-sand this clear anymore. I am worried that I will start cutting metal flake. Ideas anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

No worries. Back to the 1500, 2000 and worked out the scratches.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I have never used it but they do make 3000 grit! Seems strange to this old man who used to buff lacquer after sanding with 400 or perhaps 600 grit - that was the finest we had avail in olden days!

63SR Silver Mink
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000. Its almost like note book paper.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I bought finer stuff than that at Boeing Surplus. The finest was 12000 grit and it was like satin!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
edpol

Post by edpol »

Some detailers tell me they use swirl remover with a fine foam pad for the final buff, if necessary.
Most of the guys said they use Meguiar's 105 for the first cut with a wool pad, and Meguiar's 205 with their yellow foam pad for polishing. If needed, they use either machine or hand glaze.
If I'm not mistaken, Trizact pads go up to 5000 grit
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Carbofinsh is what I am using and it is doing the job. Carbo, wool and two foam pads (yellow and Black) cut nicely. The secret is the spay that thins out the paste. It helps to get 1500 wet and dry done pre-buff. I am dealing with a bumpy finish (metal flake). 4 to 6 coats of clear UPOL help a lot. If you cut the tops off the flake you might as well start over. Getting the flake to lay down is as bad as getting a two year old to take a nap on a sugar rush.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I was looking at raceline wheels and found that you can do a custom order.

I think the blue in the wheel will compliment the metal fake. What do you guys think?