Power Windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

UncleOtis63

Power Windows

Post by UncleOtis63 »

I read somewhere that there is a relay on the firewall that prevents the power widows from operating while the key is not on. On my 63, they operate while the key is on, off, or in my pocket. Does this mean that a previous owner jumped the relay switch? Could this be a result of a bad relay switch? Or hopefully, was this saftey feature not installed in the '63's. Hopefully there is no relay on the 63's which would mean I don't have to fix a bad part. Anyone have any ideas?
Alan H. Tast

Power Window Safety Relay

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The relay is most likely bypassed. In fact, the procedure to do this was covered in a Technical Service Bulletin back in the '61 model year, although the relay in a couple of forms has been present since 1955. If you look at the wiring coming out of near the center of the firewall, you may see a relay with no wires connected to it, and some wires with terminal ends that have been jumped together. Provided the ends weren't cut off, you could reattach them to the relay and have it resume its role in cutting out power when the ignition is off.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster