Selling on Ebay ?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

KYBRIGGS82

Selling on Ebay ?

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

I am selling my 63' Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster and have enlisted a classic car dealer to sell my car. I have had several inquiries on the car but most of these customers appear to be "tire kickers".

I am looking at selling my car on Ebay and I wonder how effective this is? Additionally, what issues should I be aware of and is the best way to promote this car on Ebay? What is the average fee Ebay charges for the sale of a vehicle on their site?

Thanks for all your help.. You guys are the gurus of information and I look forward to your suggestions.
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

I've bought a half dozen cars on Ebay over the years, no one experience the same, and ony one of them a bad experience. I've sold three cars on Ebay, sorta.

Often what happen both buying and selling is a negotiated sale after the auction closed not meeting the reserve. There's typically been alot of "ask the seller a question" activity, some serious but as many or more are just tire kickers, thiefs and bargin hunters, swap offers, and lonely chatter about how "my dad had one of those", lol.

Second time, lower the reserve to a realistic level, and say so in the description section, as this may put a little "blood in the water" for more activity and interest in a "good deal".

To me, running the auction a third time in short order indicates staleness or despiration or unreasonablness. Take a break for a month or so, run it again, with updated or new photos, a freshened description, and any other changes you've considered since last auction. This freshness may strike a buyer in a new way.

If you have the patience for it, the serious inquires can turn into a sale, usually after additional conversations, photos and/or videos, and like a visit. This is particularly true for higher ticket vehicles such as yours.

To me, the value of Ebay is broad exposure. I would expect to run the auction two or three times, unless you're planning to sell it for a truly bargin basement price. Set your reserve at a price you would be delighted to get. Observe the auction for how many "watchers" (some of whom are just doing research), respond honestly and patiently to anyy questions you get and post the meaningful questions/replies so others will see it as a serious auction, reply but dont post the stupid questions as it will undermine the calibre of interest in your car.

Remain open to and even encourage off-line communications with inquirers that you feel might be serious...'you seem like a capable buyer, and I would like you to know more about this exceptional car, so feel free to contact me at...'

The market is particularly soft right now, and there seems to be 1 or 2 unsold SR's on Ebay pretty regularly... but I dont know if what the sellers are asking for is reasonable/appropriate to condition, or what off-line dialogues have been generated.

Anyway, I've prolly run on too much, but you did ask.

Best wishes for success... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

I think most of the "caveats" for using Ebay are when you're in the buyer position - particularly when buying a car - and folks not representing the vehicle as it really is, especially condition-wise.
I've been an Ebay seller for about 10 years, and have had incredible luck selling items (mostly automotive) there...until lately. I'm guessing it's the state of the economy, but things have nearly made a 180 for me. I've gone from regularly selling items for well over my reserve (and selling way too high, in my opinion, but who am I to argue?!), to having things listed 3 or 4 times with no luck, or having to drop prices well below what I would have thought reasonable to get them sold.
That said, with what I've seen of your car, and your asking price, I'm not so sure Ebay is your best outlet, although it could at least generate some interest for negotiating, if that's something you're open to. Also on the positive side, it is a very easy to use medium, obviously with a tremendously-sized audience.
Have you tried the classic/collector versions of the Auto Traders? They have both printed and on-line options, and tend to attract folks closer to your own location.
Best of luck, whatever you do.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

To be honest, you probably won't get full value for the car from E-bay. It is good for exposure but I haven't seen too many rare cars sell well.

But it will give you some exposure. Let us know how it works out. I would make an offer but I would:
1. Get killed by my wife
2. Have to sell the 63 SR that I am restoring
3. Give the new car to my wife in the divorce settlement.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
omni43

Bought A Car

Post by omni43 »

On Ebay. Was not a real good experience, and it was my fault. I talked to the guy and he told me pretty much what i wanted to hear.

When asked if there was rust on the car, he said, "I don't remember any rust". Turned out that the rear fenders were rusted and covered with bondo and then painted. Other than that the car was original, drivable and just needs some updates. It could have been much worse.

I know you are selling a car, not buying, but I will never buy a car that I cannot see in advance and evaluated.

Best of luck.