A basic question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

wisconsinjimmy

A basic question

Post by wisconsinjimmy »

I for one do all my own work on the car no farming out, and as I go along I sometimes have to stop and wonder how the hoot did they do this at the assembly line such as windows how did they install the power windows and make them work in a short time or the rear 1/4 windows. How did they get the door seals on and working proper as none of this is a one time deal on the restoring end. Just my thoughts.
JimG
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

My answer is:
During the 50's and 60's, assembly line workers were part of a "team" producing a vehicle of passion. These workers were paid a good wage and their benefits were second to none.
Today, as evident in my my wife's 2007 Cadillac Escalade, workmanship doesn't exist in todays automotive industry and the quality shows. Assembly workers have taken a hit in thier wage and benefits have been cut causing a "this is just a job" attitude.
Look at Starbucks as an example on why that company is successful. A good wage, benefits even for part time working staff and customer service. Back in the old days, the bottom line wasn't the only object of success.
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I once upon a time worked an assembly line right after high school, I knew in a short time that it was not for me! Some jobs that were difficult were not done by the same person every time. I did instrument panel installs for a while, I did every third car with two other people doing the rest. The cars or your work station were placed so you could do your part efficiently, with lots of things sub-assembled or prepped. And just like anything else, if you do something often enough, you get good at it. JMO Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

KYBRIGGS82 wrote:My answer is:
During the 50's and 60's, assembly line workers were part of a "team" producing a vehicle of passion. These workers were paid a good wage and their benefits were second to none.
Today, as evident in my my wife's 2007 Cadillac Escalade, workmanship doesn't exist in todays automotive industry and the quality shows. Assembly workers have taken a hit in thier wage and benefits have been cut causing a "this is just a job" attitude.
Look at Starbucks as an example on why that company is successful. A good wage, benefits even for part time working staff and customer service. Back in the old days, the bottom line wasn't the only object of success.
So true....I blame management for this as many, especially in the corporate world, have replaced a long view vision of the way they want to run their company to a purely "max profit for this quarter" mentality.

Great for the short term, horrible for the long.....

John