Power Brake Booster

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

KYBRIGGS82

Power Brake Booster

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

After driving my Thunderbird recently, I noticed the pedal was hard as a rock when I push down on the brake pedal.
I replaced the master cylinder a few months ago in hopes of resolving the brake problems but today I could hear a vaccum leak from the power brake booster itself.
So, is it best to have the power brake booster rebuilt or replace the power brake booster with a new one? What are the cost difference? I see that Thunderbird Headquarters sells a remanufactured power brake booster for $199.00.
My mechanic said he could send my power brake booster to Power Brake Sales in Sacramento where they could rebuild my original power brake booster there but the cost was unknown until they were able to determine what parts were needed.
Anyone have a good source for a 63' power brake booster or what the cost will be to rebuild my power brake booster?
Thanks
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I have no experience with Booster Dewey, but others here have had positive comments. Perhaps someone with first hand experience will reply??
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I am told Booster Dewey is THE MAN!! http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
jidi

Post by jidi »

I had my 63 booster done by Booster Dewey in '08. I paid to ship it there, and the total cost to him was $139.00 including return shipping. I couldn't have been happier with the rebuild, or the turn around time. I'm sure the cost has gone up since then, but just to give you an idea of the cost.
I'd check him out.

Jim
KYBRIGGS82

Post by KYBRIGGS82 »

My next question is:
How difficult is it to remove the power brake booster from the firewall so I can ship it to a rebuilder?
What tools are required for the job and what is the basic amount of time it takes to remove the power brake booster?
1963 FORD THUNDERBIRD SPORTS ROADSTER
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

My next question is:
How difficult is it to remove the power brake booster from the firewall so I can ship it to a rebuilder?
What tools are required for the job and what is the basic amount of time it takes to remove the power brake booster?
It's been a while since I've pulled the booster but i think you need a 3/8 box end and a socket set.

It's not too hard. Just takes time and patience. Especially since you have to kind of clear your way through their to get to it. The engine bay brace will be in the way so you'll have to take that off first. Then you'll need to pull the MC from the booster.

John
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

novanutcase wrote:
My next question is:
It's been a while since I've pulled the booster but i think you need a 3/8 box end and a socket set.

It's not too hard. Just takes time and patience. Especially since you have to kind of clear your way through their to get to it. The engine bay brace will be in the way so you'll have to take that off first. Then you'll need to pull the MC from the booster.

John
There are also some E-clips and another style of clip that will require you to do some fishing and prying with screwdrivers and needle-nose pliers. You'll also have to get under the dash to remove a clip that holds the actuating bar to the brake pedal arm.

And now for my perennial word of advise: I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get a shop manual to study what all is involved here. You should not own a car like this without having its shop manual, no matter how helpful we may be here.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

You should not own a car like this without having its shop manual, no matter how helpful we may be here.
Alan knows of which he speaks. It is THE smartest money you will ever invest in your car!!!! :cool: :cool:

texastomeh
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat