Undercoating

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Olkeith

Undercoating

Post by Olkeith »

Does anyone know if the 61 - 63 birds came from the factory with undercoating? Or maybe it was an option?
Thanks!
Keith
Early 62 HT Rangoon Red w/AC
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Standard equipment '61-'66 and most likely beyond then. Prior to '61 undercoating was a factory option that the vast majority of '58-'60 T-birds received.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

...interesting. I had no idea that was a standard factory process going back that far.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Check out this ad on ebay, it's about Ford's rustproofing program
http://tiny.cc/8tn65
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Olkeith

Undercoating

Post by Olkeith »

Thanks Alan!
Early 62 HT Rangoon Red w/AC
rocnrbn

undercoating ad

Post by rocnrbn »

Not only did I look at the ad, but I bought it !
I collect old t-bird ads and have them framed and hanging in my shop and garage right next to my '62.

Have a great day.
Bob
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

Cool...I have that one myself, that's how I knew about it. My mother in law passed a couple of years ago, and had a big stack of National Geographic Magazines in the basement. I know I'm missing one for 65, but have all the others I've seen available on ebay. I have a bunch from the 50's as well, I should probably get busy and offer them for sale, I don't see me framing anymore. Glad you got the ad, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
ejm1961Tbird

Post by ejm1961Tbird »

Has anyone tried Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating? Does it look pretty true to the original undercoat?

Thanks,
Ed
Art Kastl

Post by Art Kastl »

Has anyone tried Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating? Does it look pretty true to the original undercoat?
Thanks,
Ed
Ed - below is a pic from my '62 showing the original undercoating that Wixom applied at the factory:

Now, Gary Griffin's own unrestored '62 HT looks like the Canadian Dealership (that the car was delivered to) applied an additional undercoat to the undercarriage... His pics will be interesting to compare to and how it was applied...
Last edited by Art Kastl on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
62 HT Raven Blk/Red "Original/Un-restored"

2009 Bloomington Gold 'Zenith' Award
2010 VTCI 'Wixom Preservation' Award
2011 AACA 'Historical Preservation of Original Features' (HPOF) Award
60fore

Post by 60fore »

This picture shows the extra undercoating Art is talking about. This car was sold new in Quebec, which used plenty of salt on its roads back in the day. So it would be common practice for new car buyers to request extra undercoating to prevent their cars from rusting out in two years.

It appears as if the lip of the fender was simply masked off, and then extra undercoating applied.

Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

[quote=]Has anyone tried Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating? Does it look pretty true to the original undercoat?

Thanks,
Ed[/quote]

I've tried the Eastwood brand, as well as several others... it's good stuff, especially when going over previously undercoated parts. If coating virgin materials or where original coating has be removed, it does not produce the texture of originality.

I have tried a product, I believe the company/distributor name is Dupco, that has a pretty vigorus bubbling/foaming action as it is applied, and will leave a pretty original texture... less like a paint.

FWIW... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
ejm1961Tbird

Post by ejm1961Tbird »

Thanks very much for the pics, Art and Gary. Brian, could it have been Dupli-Color?

Regards,
Ed
Xetal

Post by Xetal »

"The Protector" brand is what a number of dealers are using on new cars. I think it has a much closer appearance to original compared to rubberized coating from a can. A few dealers in the northern IL area will certainly take your money to have it applied. The trick is to get to the contractor that puts it on and walk them through where and how you want it applied.
61 Tbird HT Honey Beige/Black
73 Mercury Comet "GT"