Wire Wheels

This area is for selling Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts only. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
Brian Harris

Wire Wheels

Post by Brian Harris »

Like new set (4) wire wheels and tires. Pics and description below.

Wheels are 56 spoke 14 inch reproductions by Motospot Inc. in Cali., that sell for about $375 each. The tires are Coker 215R75's with a 1"ww. Epoy'd spokes and tubes. The set has far less than 100 miles road time, and they are a little more than two years old. Well balanced and no dings or blems... definitely show quality. Only showing pic of one, as rest are neatly stored. No spinners included. I'll be Ebaying them later this month, but thought some fellow birder here might what a crack at them first. They'd be $2200 plus new... I'm only needing $1500, plus S&H (no clue). Complete set only. The tires are basically free. Let me know if interested or questions.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
`68 Mercedes 280SL Pagoda
T-Bird-Art

Re: Wire Wheels

Post by T-Bird-Art »

Brian Harris wrote: Epoy'd spokes

Brian:
What does Epoy'd spokes mean ?
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

Good question.

Vintage wire wheels required inner tubes to keep the tires inflated since air would escape through the unsealed spoke ends at the rim.

To keep the spoke ends at the rim from rubbing and puncturing the inner tubes, OEM's would install a liner, much like a large wide thick rubber band.

Since liners are hard to come by, and even the liners could be punctured by the spoke ends, quality modern reproduction rims sometimes have coatings, like an epoxy, slathered over the spoke ends to keep from puncturing the tube.

Some forego the liner when the spoke ends are epoxied.

As an alternative to epoxy, some will use a cut up inner tube as a liner, and some will wrap miles of duct tape around the inner rim to cover the spoke ends. Duct tape has been said to sometime "ball up" or "curl up" enough to cause an eventual puncture due to rubbing pressure.

I hope that helps.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
Brian Harris

Post by Brian Harris »

BTW, these will go up on Ebay on Monday after I get some more pics taken (snow finally melted and can get to where they're stored). Price reduced for quick sale... $1,200 plus whatever it takes to get them delivered... will drive free up to 200 miles to deliver.

Cheers... Brian
`55 Ford F-100 Pick-up
`57 D-Bird Restomod
`62 Thunderbird Roadster
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Mmmm...that's a killer deal. Sure wish they were 15"-ers that would clear my '66 calipers! :???:
Best of luck with the sale, Brian.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333