Sway Bar - Issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ozbird

Sway Bar - Issues

Post by ozbird »

Hi All,

I have attached some images of my swaybar which does not fit my 62 tbird. I purchased it from Tbird Headquarters but not worth returning it since I'm in Australia.

I was able to fit it but the front 'bar' hits on the two crossmembers each side and the 'arms' are too long and the connectors to the control arms are on an angle. Turned it upside down and it fouls the harmonic balance, even at rest.

Looking at these images, would anyone have an idea of what model tbird it might fit, have been waiting for a response from tbird HQ but no action there? If I can figure out what it might fit I can sell it locally and get another sway bar made here.

Thanks Graeme

1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

Strangely enough, it looks exactly like the '61-'63 bar shown in the Larry's catalog...(which is obviously different from the other years' versions).
Last edited by TsNStangs on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
car guy

Post by car guy »

Mine just arrived from Bird Nest last night, if I get a chance to pull them out of the box today I'll look at them and snap some pictures for you, if they're any different than that one.
Timothy

It's for my twin boys. Sure, they're only 4 right now, but it's all for them! And the girls, they'll want to drive too - they won't turn 3 for a while yet, but when they do, I'll have a pit crew!

Go Penguins!
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

OZBIRD and CAR GUY,

Are those "standard/OEM" sway bars or are they the "Heavy Duty"?

thanx

texastomeh
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
t_birder

Post by t_birder »

Hey there Oz,
I don't know that it helps at all but here's a picture of the one I put on my 63 compared to the stock one. It's on the car now and it fits just fine.
The arms on mine are about 9.5" from the center of the eye to the center of the bend.
And remember that when you set the car down on the ground, the sway bar rotates away from your harmonic balancer.
Clint
texastomeh

Post by texastomeh »

t-birder,

Looks like you answered MY question with your picture!

That is definitely the HEAVY DUTY Bar. THAT is the one that I plan to put on my '63HT. Where did you get it?

thanx,

texastomeh
Tom Hartfield
"GROWING old was GREAT! BEING old SUCKS!"
"Seems like all the guys that know how to fix America are too busy working on old cars!"
'63 TBird HT
1927 BUGATTI Type 35C Replica
TR186 Triton Bass Boat
ozbird

Sway Bar

Post by ozbird »

Thanks for the images, I will go and measure it up again - that thing is so heavy it's no joy lifting it up single handed.

Size is 1 1/8" and I think it is all US solid steel? ;-)

I got mine from tbird headquarters but they can be got at any of the Thunderbird resellers.

cheers Graeme
ozbird

Sway Bar Take 2

Post by ozbird »

Seems like all is well now, I managed to centre the swaybar a little better and moved it back to miss the cross members some more.

Still only a paper thin gap on one side even after filing some of the rough edges off the body welds. I will need to road test it but looks a whole lot better now!

thanks again - Graeme :mrgreen:
TsNStangs

Post by TsNStangs »

...another happy ending. ::sigh::
:toothy10:
~ Daniel
"I'm your huckleberry..."
VTCI #11333
Alan H. Tast

HD Stabilizer Bar

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Installation of these can be tricky. Word of caution: IF you're lucky enough to still have the metal lower splash shield for your generator ('62) or alternator ('63) you'll need to fabricate a spacer to drop the pan down slightly, as when the stabilizer bar moves down as previously mentioned it WILL hit the splash pan unless there's enough room to clear it. They do help tremendously in terms of cornering and reducing body sway. I'm considering adding the rear to my '63 as body sway in cornering, i.e. Interstate cloverleafs, will rub my radial tires against the wheel arch lips.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
nbaum

sway bar

Post by nbaum »

Rear sway bars, radial tires, Alan I thought that you were one of us pure ones!!
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
60fore

Post by 60fore »

Norton, Alan just sent me a PM seeking input on his impending switch to fuel injection, 12 inch trunk-mounted subs and 20inch bling rims. ***

*** Early April Fool's joke :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
nbaum

sway bar

Post by nbaum »

I will admit to have been tempted by a few un-pure items. The one big thing I'am doing to my Landau is that I have discarded all the old tar paper and fiberglass insulation that is falling apart and replacing it with a Dynamat type sound proofer and a closed cell foam sound absorber. My car was stripped of all that before it was painted. The person who did the work retained all the pieces but they just fall apart when handled. I think I spent about $400 on the products to do the whole car. At least it won't be seen when the car is completed. The car came with a new set of radial tires so in the beginning I will run with them.
I guess I'am not as pure as I thought!
2014 Corvette convertible
1993 Cadillac Allante factory hardtop Pearl Red
2016 Lexus RX350
1992 Cadillac Allante Bright red
1930 Ford model A Cabriolet
2005 Chevrolet SSR
bearclawjj

Sway Bar..red bushings etc..

Post by bearclawjj »

Osbird, the sway bar by t-birder is not even close to yours..If I were you I would demand TB Headquarters ID the thing. Plus your bushing are the poly type..red in color............T-birders are black..

I'll be looking for a sway bar shortly......will need the polyurethane bushing like yours..but the correct one like T-birders. Will research it..before I buy thanks to you...

Bear.. advise.
Alan H. Tast

Sway Bar Mods

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Norton, Alan just sent me a PM seeking input on his impending switch to fuel injection, 12 inch trunk-mounted subs and 20inch bling rims.
W T F ? "Wagon Wheels" with rubber band rim protectors, mega-speakers and fuel injection? To borrow a Valley Girl-eque phrase from the '80s, gag me with a spoon!

All kidding aside, if I consider a modification it needs to be reversible back to stock configuration, i.e. bolt-on. So far I've resisted the rear sway bar, dual master cylinder (doable with addition of a proportioning valve and replacing some hard lines), disc brakes ('65-'66 setup as long as I use '65-'66 15" wheels, unless there is another caliper than can be adapted with a bracket or ? that would also work with 14" wheels?), modern radio and stereo speakers (just use OEM-style plugs for the power/light/speaker connections).

I have done a stainless steel M-series 2" dual exhaust system, HD front sway bar, Pertronix Ignitor module and FlameThrower coil (but have not wired 12v direct from the ignition switch yet), quartz clock and, the biggest mod, added the "M"-series tripower (but not the C2SE-A heads, so if anyone has a pair for sale...). All of these items are reversible back to stock should I decide to put the car back to OEM specs. I do attempt to make as many items as inconspicuous as possible, i.e. finishes matching OEM (well, except for that darn chrome Flamethrower coil I had to use to replace the black-painted one that crapped out on my way to GoodGuys at Kansas Speedway Labor Day weekend '07). The one biggie still coming, which isn't really a modification, is throwing a set of true '63 K-H wires on it, whenever I can get ahold of some rim liners to keep the tubes off the spoke nipples.

Under the right circumstances I would (and do) entertain modifications, provided they are reversible, tasteful, improve the safety and reliability of the whole package. When they become outright trendy, gaudy, irreversible and "over the top," then that's a different story.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster