OK Flair-Birders, time to show off!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Lee Craner

Re: OK Flair-Birders, time to show off!

Post by Lee Craner »

After four months of work, it is ready for its closeup. Still some work to do, but it's almost done.
10-06-18-12.jpg
10-06-18-27.jpg
Someday, I'll find the original air cleaner and valve covers.
Someday, I'll find the original air cleaner and valve covers.
Everything now works, even the original clock and the R12 A/C!
Everything now works, even the original clock and the R12 A/C!
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II
paulr

Post by paulr »

Really nice 👍🏻, aces, in fact! A convertible with A/C; now, that’s living😄
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Yeah, that is super nice!
Did you add the AC? I only ask because it doesn't have the remote PS resevoir. (Mind you I'm not knit picking. I'm totally jealous).

Cheers,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I only ask because it doesn't have the remote PS resevoir.
65 with A/C doesn't have remote reservoir
IMG_1088.JPG
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification Bob.

S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Lee Craner

Post by Lee Craner »

Thanks for the kind comments. The A/C is original to the car. Living in Las Vegas, it was a requirement when I went looking for a convertible. Tomorrow, I pull the starter to install a new bendix drive. Last time I pull a starter was during the Nixon administration. :lol:
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

Guess it's time I should post a picture of mine. I bought it in February 2016 in El Paso, Texas and then drove it home to Salt Lake City, Utah. It was an adventure for sure and not for the faint of (mechanical work) heart. The gentleman and his wife I bought it from were super nice and would call and check on me each evening :smile: It's a Q code car and was originally Wimbledon white, I bought it with the paint you see and in these pics It's just after I bought it and updated the wheels/tires. I've driven it around some and am now in the middle of a few "bigger" modifications (hydroboost, rebuilt engine, trans, etc.) and hope to have her back on the road by April.

Scott
Attachments
TBird Side.JPG
TBird 2.jpg
TBird 1.jpg
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

It's been a couple years since anyone has posted here. Any newer folks out there want to show off?
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

A few pics of my adventure. This is the car you see on the cover of the July-August 2022 Scoop.

Dirty engine out
DSC01240-a.jpg
Dirty engine bay
DSC01262-a.jpg

Presto!!! Zip Boom Ba!!!

Clean engine bay
DSC01293-a.jpg
Clean engine in
DSC01300-a.jpg
Who thought it could be so easy?

My home made, electric tippi lift
DSC01487-a.jpg
DSC01488-a.jpg
BBlendo

Post by BBlendo »

20200814_133643.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg
20190506_173321.jpg
Collineking

Post by Collineking »

I love those wheels. Where can i find them?
TheBigMortboski

Post by TheBigMortboski »

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClBt5v3Pme5 ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Good evening. New feller here. Just picked up this unit a couple weeks ago. She’s a 1966 flavor, 390/C6. Originally Wimbledon White, and sometime back in the day was painted this color. I’m not so much a factory original type of guy so she’ll be a restomod. Cruiser, modern engine (leaning toward a Navigator 5.4 DOHC) and built up to be my daily driver and chew up the highway miles at the same time. Goal is to take it on a 48 state road trip in a few years.

Edit - apparently this forum doesn’t do Instagram? I dunno.
Matches

Post by Matches »

Hi everyone,

New member here. Just bought this 1966 car for my wife on Valentine's Day, and she absolutely loves it. Practically stole it, because despite looking good at 5 feet this thing needs a lot of work. Thankfully, I've only found one area of rust at the panel that's underneath the rear vents behind the trunk lid. I don't know the name of that panel.

Under the hood it's a different story. Years of neglect and seriously Micky Mouse B.S. work... like people couldn't figure out where vacuum lines went so they just stuck screws in them. Also have some bad lifter and valve stem wear on one cylinder that I don't think is firing.

SO, I've got a lot of work ahead of me but I'm not new to cars. I'll get this old Bird up and running for my wife in no time. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Great pics from everyone! Does anyone have a pic of a correctly detailed 66 390 with AC and highway pilot? I am in the final stages of detailing my engine compartment and I want to route everything correctly. Thanks, Ed
ELTBIRD

Post by ELTBIRD »

Okay, so I routed and bound all lines as best I could today. Except for some minor stuff my five month winter engine compartment restoration will be done tomorrow when I install the new condenser, dryer and battery. I kept it original except for some personal preferences. I don't like painting hoses (PCV hose) and I cleaned, wire wheeled and clear enamel coated all hardware. My trusty Maxwell House lid stood proud protecting the original carb through the whole process. Air cleaner canister is being sand blasted for new paint. I plan on saying a prayer on Thursday before turning the key to fire her up for the first time since November. Then, if all is good, I will evacuate and charge the AC if the vacuum test is good. Praying for no no leaks anywhere and all electrical stuff was done correctly. I will report back!!
Attachments
20230328_183256.jpg
20230328_183542.jpg
20230328_183125.jpg