Center Steering Wheel Cap is loose

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

rasher

Center Steering Wheel Cap is loose

Post by rasher »

My center cap is loose in that it flops around when I turn the wheel. It even falls off occaisionally when it works itself loose. Anyone seen this one before? What's the fix? Should I try bending the ears in or out? This is pretty embarrassing.
Thanks - Bob
Alan H. Tast

Center Cap

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Bob, how many times have I told you to stop by the office and let me get a look at the thing? All kidding aside, you probably need to bend the tabs slightly toward the back of the center cone, i.e. away from the column, so that when you screw it back in it will press against the retaining ring on the steering wheel. It might also be that the retaining ring on the hub of the wheel needs a little tweaking as well by tapping the retaining lugs in slightly. Too much, and they won't be able to catch each other. Too little, and it will still flop around.

BTW, keep an eye on our local club's events calender for several upcoming shows in the Kansas City area, including City Market and several Ford dealerships, over the summer. Go to www.VTKC.com for the list. I'm hoping to have my '63 out and about for a few of these, provided I can get the thing to a drivable condition within the next couple of weeks.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster