55 Restoration Project

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

tarowlands

55 Restoration Project

Post by tarowlands »

Hi all new to restoration, starting my dads 55 thunderbird that he had torn apart 40+ yrs ago. Trying to keep it as stock as possible, it does have a 312 police interceptor out of a 57'. Would love to get a 292 Yblock for the model year. Currently looking for information on frame, and transmission colors. Any other information to watch out for while restoring it would be appreciated.
tbird3.jpg
tbird1.jpg
Attachments
tbird2.jpg
ward 57

Re: 55 Restoration Project

Post by ward 57 »

Buy all the documentation you can find including the restoration manual. It's not inexpensive but minor in the scope of work you are undertaking. It is the 'bible' for authenticity. Then the shop manual and at different points you may want the electrical and trim & sealer manuals.
VTCI # 13223
tarowlands

Post by tarowlands »

ward 57 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 pm Buy all the documentation you can find including the restoration manual. It's not inexpensive but minor in the scope of work you are undertaking. It is the 'bible' for authenticity. Then the shop manual and at different points you may want the electrical and trim & sealer manuals.
Would you happen to know of a good place/website to find them? There is a company called T Bird Products in Exton, PA. about a hour from me that I'm going to be making a trip to tomorrow.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Also contact the usual parts suppliers for their current catalogs. Hills, Concours, CASCO, NDP and Larrys but the last time I checked their paper catalog is being revamped but their website has current listings on line.
You also may consider joining CTCI and here at VTCI.
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

You can. get the CTCI Manual, including binder and all supplements, from Concours Parts. Sign up for email notification of their 10% off sales.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money restoring your car. I have close to $2000 invested in my 57 ECZ-G cylinder heads alone. Machine work is expensive, and quality parts aren't cheap. Give it serious consideration before you begin. It's not uncommon to start such a project, abandon it, and take a loss. Even if you finish it, you will have more invested in it than if you bought a car that's already roadworthy, and you won't have to wait to enjoy it.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Don't we all at some point spend more than the resale value of our hobby? Fortunately they are not like a boat which will continue to depreciate over time. Your sunk cost at this point is nil so anything spent should bring the joy of ownership and experience should be worth the cost unlike the current cost of a higher education degree with no way to determine if it's worth the cost. A better investment in my book financially and personally. 'I did it myself' is justification in my book.
VTCI # 13223
RossL

Post by RossL »

tarowlands wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:15 pm
ward 57 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 pm Buy all the documentation you can find including the restoration manual. It's not inexpensive but minor in the scope of work you are undertaking. It is the 'bible' for authenticity. Then the shop manual and at different points you may want the electrical and trim & sealer manuals.
Would you happen to know of a good place/website to find them? There is a company called T Bird Products in Exton, PA. about a hour from me that I'm going to be making a trip to tomorrow.
I have purchased a lot from T-Bird products. They have a lot in stock and ship quickly
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

You asked about information on the frame. If you mean serial numbers to match the firewall data plate here are the locations. The right front under the heater box is the best to view. Transmission colors are all natural. As far as things to watch out for, I know of two cases where the build sheets were found rolled up in the tubular crossover member under the front engine mount. Probably the same assembly line worker being cute.
895D15B9-67EE-41F7-98D7-87C60FEB3411.jpeg
tarowlands

Post by tarowlands »

MarkR wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:14 pm You asked about information on the frame. If you mean serial numbers to match the firewall data plate here are the locations. The right front under the heater box is the best to view. Transmission colors are all natural. As far as things to watch out for, I know of two cases where the build sheets were found rolled up in the tubular crossover member under the front engine mount. Probably the same assembly line worker being cute.
895D15B9-67EE-41F7-98D7-87C60FEB3411.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I wanted to know if the frame color was (I'm sure) black, or body color or some other color. As far as transmission I'm guessing black aswell or just match the engine red
tarowlands

Post by tarowlands »

55blacktie wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:12 pm You can. get the CTCI Manual, including binder and all supplements, from Concours Parts. Sign up for email notification of their 10% off sales.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money restoring your car. I have close to $2000 invested in my 57 ECZ-G cylinder heads alone. Machine work is expensive, and quality parts aren't cheap. Give it serious consideration before you begin. It's not uncommon to start such a project, abandon it, and take a loss. Even if you finish it, you will have more invested in it than if you bought a car that's already roadworthy, and you won't have to wait to enjoy it.
Yeah, expected a good amount of $$$ to go into this. The current engine is all together. Baring any seals/gaskets being bad hope to just slap a carb in it, fluids in it and plenty of prayers that is good yet. The car was garage kept and the engine was in a temp controlled garage. With any luck that will save me a couple $k
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you're looking for a good introduction to finishes, part numbers, etc., VTCI's 1955-1957 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) Manual has this information. VTCI members-in-good-standing (i.e. dues-paying members) can purchase a copy through VTCI's Country Store by going to the link below - scroll toward the bottom of the page for OFS selections:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... _store.htm
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

Yes, frames were black - most go with gloss, is easier to clean. Transmissions were natural (no paint). If a stick, the bell housing was engine color.

Stick with the 312 if it's good. No one will know the difference.

[quote Thanks for the info. I wanted to know if the frame color was (I'm sure) black, or body color or some other color. As far as transmission I'm guessing black as well or just match the engine red
[/quote]
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
tarowlands

Post by tarowlands »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:54 pm If you're looking for a good introduction to finishes, part numbers, etc., VTCI's 1955-1957 Original Factory Specifications (OFS) Manual has this information. VTCI members-in-good-standing (i.e. dues-paying members) can purchase a copy through VTCI's Country Store by going to the link below - scroll toward the bottom of the page for OFS selections:

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... _store.htm
I plan on joining at some point and also buying manuals, still working on organizing at the posts I have. See what I have, what can be cleaned and what to just trash
tarowlands

Post by tarowlands »

paul2748 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 pm Yes, frames were black - most go with gloss, is easier to clean. Transmissions were natural (no paint). If a stick, the bell housing was engine color.

Stick with the 312 if it's good. No one will know the difference.

[quote Thanks for the info. I wanted to know if the frame color was (I'm sure) black, or body color or some other color. As far as transmission I'm guessing black as well or just match the engine red
[/quote]

Thanks, if ya can't tell my first resto. Want to get it right since it was my dad's. Not planing on being a sore cat but want it to be right. Transmission housing and dive shaft at pretty rusty might clean it up and match it to the frame just to try and preserve it
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Clear coat or cast iron paint would look more original, if that's what you're after.