Front coil spring compressor

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Lasse

Front coil spring compressor

Post by Lasse »

I see listed on ebay this item: "For 65-73 Mustang Shelby / Falcon Fairlane Ranchero Torino Coil Spring Compressor. Heavy duty". I have also seen a youtube video where a guy uses it on a Fairlane (I think). I know the springs on our T-birds are much more powerful, but the compressor looks to be of a size that might handle it. The question is: Is it at all possible to use this on our cars? I have a 1966.
Let me add that I have had my springs out (and in again) using a kind of copy of the Moog compressor. We managed, but it was both nerve wrecking and challenging. I'm not to happy with the inner shaft installation, but those springs just puts me off........

Lasse Lofthus
Bergen - Norway
jtschug

Re: Front coil spring compressor

Post by jtschug »

I did an internet search and found this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204717662111

It has square threads, so that is good, but it is made in China so....?

There are very good products made in China, but unfortunately there are also things made there which either are designed improperly, or they are made with inferior materials or poor quality. It is a gamble, and with this particular tool for this particular purpose, you may not want to be gambling.

I have the Moog tool and the original instructions that came with it. It has specific instructions for Thunderbirds where the front spring curves when the wheel is off the ground. They recommend using a bottle jack under the spindle to raise the suspension and reduce the curve before installing the plates and jack screw.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Lasse

Re: Front coil spring compressor

Post by Lasse »

True words my friend! I would prefer the Moog kit, but they seems to be hard to find. May be I can make something special for the T-bird. I have a very skilled friend so perhaps we can do a joint project.

Lasse