Rear Leaf Spring Eyelet Size

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

baccus06

Rear Leaf Spring Eyelet Size

Post by baccus06 »

So I ordered some new rear leaf springs from General Spring out of Kansas for my '61 Hardtop. I didn't realize when I ordered it that the front and rear eyes were the same even though the website says they are but I also wasn't aware that they were different sizes from the factory. These new springs use the same small bushing size that the factory rears used. Does anyone see an issue with using the smaller front eye than what was originally on the car? I have to pay a 10% restocking fee and return shipping from Wisconsin to Kansas so I'll only get like 65ish% of what I paid back. I'm disappointed in myself for not knowing better about this before ordering but I also asked them if this was a direct replacement and was told it was.
1961 Thunderbird Hardtop
Alan H. Tast

Re: Rear Leaf Spring Eyelet Size

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Here is a case where 'Search' can be your friend. Typing into the 'Search' box these words

1961 rear leaf spring

came up with these results:

search.php?keywords=1961+rear+leaf+spring

Take a look through these to see if any of them help with determining how to proceed and whether to return or use what you have. These posts in particular have info on the springs/front bushings for '61:

viewtopic.php?p=68871&hilit=1961+rear+l ... ing#p68871
viewtopic.php?p=56243&hilit=1961+rear+l ... ing#p56243

Refining the search to 1961 rear spring brought back some more results:

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... ear+spring

The posts were back from 2011-2014, btw.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster