Painting Engine

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

55blacktie

Painting Engine

Post by 55blacktie »

I just got my cylinder heads back from the machine. Although they looked clean and felt clean, there was still residue on them. Soon after priming one of the heads, the paint began to peel. I used a brass wire wheel to easily remove 90+ % of the paint; brushing on Goof Off took care of the rest. I then used multiple applications of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any residue. I successfully primed the head this morning.

FYI: Seymour PBE Professional Primer is the best rattle-can primer I've ever used; it dries quickly, doesn't run, and has an adjustable spray pattern (if needed). I also use Seymour's Ford/Chrysler Red Engine Paint because Gil Baumgartner (CTCI Gil's Garage) said it's closest to the original Ford Red. Although the primer can be sanded or top-coated after 15 minutes, I usually wait 24 hours to apply the three top coats.

Save yourself some grief by making sure your engine parts are clean before painting them. I don't like doing things twice.
ward 57

Re: Painting Engine

Post by ward 57 »

Seymour seems to have really good stuff. I used their Cast Blast on my exhaust manifolds and they have never looked better after just one coat.
VTCI # 13223