Door handle not Returning

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

klogsdonjr

Door handle not Returning

Post by klogsdonjr »

Top off weather here in wash dc area. Motoring around and stopped for dinner. Opened the driver's door and heard a faint "click". Got out and went to shut door and it wouldn't latch. Looked inside and the door latch was still up and hadn't returned to close. I can close manually and everything works - it's just not returning automatically.

Without digging into the door, it seems that the spring door remote control part 21910 has likely snapped. Don't think it has anything to do with part 22624 since that just pushes out the handle and keeps it away from the door panel.

Looking for confirmation or any other experience I should be prepared for?
Last edited by klogsdonjr on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
ward 57

Re: Door Latch not Returning

Post by ward 57 »

Sounds likely to me.
VTCI # 13223
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

I think this is a pic of the part that makes the door latch spring back. Anyone have experience replacing this? Can it be done in place or am I looking at having to remove the whole remote arm to get at it?
Screenshot_20240429-054604.png
Ken
ward 57

Re: Door handle not Returning

Post by ward 57 »

Speaking of door latches.. After rebuilding my driver's power window mechanism I now get a clunk and slight resistance when I pull the door handle even with the door open. I guess I'll have to pull the door panel again and take a look. I hope it's just the spring behind the handle has gotten hooked into the release lever. ( I hope ) I've never had a problem with it before.
VTCI # 13223
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

klogsdonjr wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:49 am I think this is a pic of the part that makes the door latch spring back. Anyone have experience replacing this? Can it be done in place or am I looking at having to remove the whole remote arm to get at it?

Screenshot_20240429-054604.png
it looks like it is sledged in there pretty good. Might be easier to just replace the whole thing and Hills has them if needed. It looks like it is a pain to get out and the latch mechanism looks even worse. Mine is getting worn.
VTCI # 13223
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

Thought about that too. Decided to order the springs from concourse parts at the handle (21910) and at the latch (21812-s) (pairs for both sides) so that I have them next time I open up the door panel and get the gumption to investigate. For now I can manually work with it.
Ken
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Don't know if this is related but I found an old post from Mr. Tast about removing the latch. If the moderators can find a better place for it feel free as the shop manual is pretty silent on removing the latch for rebuild.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... l&start=15
VTCI # 13223