CONVERTIBLE CYLINDER GUARDS

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

62roadster

CONVERTIBLE CYLINDER GUARDS

Post by 62roadster »

Hard to find good solid originals so does anyone know if reproduction cylinder guards are available for the convertible; I'm referring to the metal guard that surrounds the trunk lift cylinders so that nothing in the trunk can roll underneath and damage the cylinder,,,
Alan H. Tast

Re: CONVERTIBLE CYLINDER GUARDS

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I'm not aware of any. If a person knows the gauge of the sheet metal, has a good pattern and sheet metal fabrication skills, plus the tools to roll the top edge of the shields, form the shape of the shields and press/roll in the reinforcing ribs, one-offs could be made. And if a person could set up jigs, bucks and patterns to make multiples, they might be able to sell a few, though I think the market for these would be limited if there are still good used ones to come off of parts cars.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

62roadster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:35 pm Hard to find good solid originals so does anyone know if reproduction cylinder guards are available for the convertible; I'm referring to the metal guard that surrounds the trunk lift cylinders so that nothing in the trunk can roll underneath and damage the cylinder,,,
The cylinder guards are available in a very good reproduction from the usual parts vendors. I've used them and they can't be distinguished from the originals. Here's an example:

https://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_deta ... 48D7F705DE
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Shows how long it has been since I've taken time to go through parts catalogs or websites. Good to know they're available.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster