Need 12 volts to coil 1962

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

aa010175

Need 12 volts to coil 1962

Post by aa010175 »

How’s the best way to get 12 volts to the coil with the ignition switch on all the time? How can I permanently by pass the reduced volts that go to the coil? Going with electronic ignition. Thanks Dave
Alan H. Tast

Re: Need 12 volts to coil 1962

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Here's what I found by typing into the 'Search' box '12 volts direct from coil to ignition switch' - it's dealing with a '64-'66, but it's basically the same for '61-'63 in terms of the resistance wire used between the coil and ignition switch.

search.php?keywords=12+volts+direct+fro ... ion+switch

Others may want to chime in with their experiences on bypassing the resistance wire on '61-'63s. Personally, I run a Pertronix Ignitor 1 module on my '63 and did not bypass the resistor wire - car seems to run fine, but I have had issues with Pertronix 'Flamethrower' coils melting and shorting out when mounted factory-style in a horizontal position on top of my air conditioning compressor. Running the Pertronix module, not bypassing the wire and running a OEM coil works for me, but I couldn't tell you if I'm optimizing its performance - all I know is that it works better than by running points/condenser.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
claybreaker 144

Re: Need 12 volts to coil 1962

Post by claybreaker 144 »

The 61 and 62 Thunderbird harnesses that I worked on only had resistance wire under the dash. Easy to splice in standard copper wire from ignition switch to the harness plug on the firewall. Top plug, top row, second wire in from the right.
I don't know what the spec is on the thunderbird resistance wire but I seem to remember 9 volts at the distributor from Auto Shop 50 some years ago! Alan makes a good point to run it as is. I run the Pertronix Ignition and have also burned up the Flamethrower Coil, I thought is was because I left the key on for a couple of days.
66 Elcamino
62 F100 Uni CVS
62 Tbird Hardtop M Code under restoration
55 Stude Next up
61 Tbird Convt Project