Ignition Switch or Just Cylinder?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

rovingscot

Ignition Switch or Just Cylinder?

Post by rovingscot »

Hi,

In my new-to-me '57 Thunderbird, the ignition lock / key is a bit finicky. I have to wiggle the key in the lock before I can find the right position to be able to turn it to start the car. So something is worn out.

It seems I have a couple of options - I can either replace the whole ignition switch, cylinder and key; or just the cylinder and key.

From the symptoms, does anyone have a feel if I just need to replace the cylinder and key?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
55blacktie

Re: Ignition Switch or Just Cylinder?

Post by 55blacktie »

If the starter switch otherwise works okay, I would just replace the cylinder and key. After 67 years, the cylinder and key have had considerable wear. On the other hand, you could buy a complete starter switch assembly and keep the original as a spare. If the aftermarket switch fails, You can remove the cylinder and put it in the original switch.
rovingscot

Post by rovingscot »

Yes, the switch otherwise works fine. I'll just go with a new lock cylinder and key for now then.

Thanks!
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

If you do that, have a locksmith re-key the new cylinder to the original key so you don't have to have 3 keys on your ring before installing. .
VTCI # 13223
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

It's not hard to reset the pins in your door lock to a new key, if you are so inclined. The hardest part is getting the clips out and in when removing/reinstalling the cylinder.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

I’m a bit perplexed. Years ago, my ignition switch failed when on a long trip (had to hot-wire to restart…pumped gas with motor running). Getting the switch/key out after I got home was rather tricky, as I recall. I know I must have bought a NOS switch & tumbler then, but have absolutely no memory of changing the door locks (still only carry two keys). Go figure.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

It is much easier to re key the ignition than the doors. You will have it out anyway. If one key works the ignition & doors and the other the glove box & trunk you are good.
VTCI # 13223
klogsdonjr

Post by klogsdonjr »

ward 57 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:09 pm It is much easier to re key the ignition than the doors. You will have it out anyway. If one key works the ignition & doors and the other the glove box & trunk you are good.
Yes good point.
Ken
'56 Thunderbird 312 black/tuxedo
(originally sold in Louisville, KY)
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Having the new cylinder re-keyed would be convenient, but it sounds like you're trying to do this on the cheap; in which case, having to use a 3rd key for the ignition would be a minor inconvenience.
rovingscot

Post by rovingscot »

I actually do prefer to have the keys matched. I’ve already ordered a new set of matched cylinders for ignition and doors. I did not realize it was possible to rekey the new ignition cylinder to match the doors. Oh well, part ordered and too late now.

Thanks everyone for the info though. I might still rekey the ignition to save the work of replacing the door cylinders.