Convertible Top ?'s

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RossL

Convertible Top ?'s

Post by RossL »

My 55 has a Prestige Convertible frame. It does not have a swing arm.

The dealer I bought the car from from also gave me the original frame with the swing arm and feet, which I plan to transfer to the new frame.

How difficult is it to install the swing arm? (I'm asking this because I am dealing with a hernia and I have surgery scheduled in May).

Does anyone have pictures of the swing arm installed in the car? I'm also planning to install a sub woofer in the area behind the seats and I can't tell how much room I will have with the swing arm and the top down behind the seat.

One of the rear latches (under the plastic window) will not engage and hold the top down in that corner. When I'm trying to push the top down and turn the handle the chrome plate in the body was starting to spin. I've tightened the bolt that holds the plate to the body, but that didn't help. Are there any adjustments I can make to the handle mechanism? The other side works fine.
ICON 1956

Re: Convertible Top ?'s

Post by ICON 1956 »

I would not do the install since yourself. Especially your nursing a hernia . Trying to install the swing arm is tricky and is heavy it takes upper to mid lower body strength to install although you will need a second pair of hands. My advice pay someone that knows how to install it.....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If you haven't done so already, you should first determine that the original parts, including the swing arm, are compatible with the aftermarket top, before you start disassembly/reassembly.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

The final adjustments are the bugger. As far as the rear latch, it sounds like the pin is not extended enough. There is a hex set screw that needs to be loosened and then the pin can unscrewed to the proper length.
My question is why the original top was replaced?
VTCI # 13223
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Good question. I can understand replacing the canvas/window, but there would be no need to replace a perfectly good OEM frame with an aftermarket.
RossL

Post by RossL »

55blacktie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:56 pm If you haven't done so already, you should first determine that the original parts, including the swing arm, are compatible with the aftermarket top, before you start disassembly/reassembly.
The top was replaced a couple of owners ago, I assume when the car was restored and painted.

When I called Prestige they told me the original swing arm hardware fits. There were two bolts I had to purchase.
paul2748

Post by paul2748 »

My 56 had a Prestige top with a swing arm. It worked perfectly. You do need to get the attaching hardware from Prestige as it is different from the factory attaching hardware.. I originally purchased the top used after I got my car (no conv top) and then located a factory swing arm. I did it my self when I was 20 years younger (60's) but with a medical condition like yours I would not attempt it alone. Removing the seat makes the job a lot easier but if you have a power seat I would advise not to remove.
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

I have an aftermarket soft top, not sure of the brand. When I got the car it had never been installed. I bought a complete swing arm to use with it. I suppose what's heavy is relative, but I did not think the swing arm was particularly heavy and installed it myself. All it takes to install it is to position its feet on the 4 studs (two on each side) and bolt it down. Once it's in you can raise and lower it although it will seem a bit unbalanced without the top on it. I had to make a couple small custom links to connect my aftermarket top to the ends of the swing arm. Not difficult. Then I put the top on and it's worked fine. I raise and lower it by myself, and the hard part is not the raise lower but keeping it positioned while doing the clamps. The swing arm does have a couple adjustment screws to limit how much it raises do that it doesn't bump into the shelf behind. As I said, mine was complete, springs in place, nothing was loose. The only adjustment I needed to do was tweak how far back it went toward the shelf to make sure it didn't hit.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I still wonder why the original top was not re-installed and replaced with an unfinished installation. I do understand the '55s had an issue with the 2 piece rear bow to the deck, that could be the reason. Now there are solutions documented here.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

ward 57 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 pm I still wonder why the original top was not re-installed and replaced with an unfinished installation. I do understand the '55s had an issue with the 2 piece rear bow to the deck, that could be the reason. Now there are solutions documented here.

The impression I get is he only got the swing arm and the frame. Probably shot fabric as well. Sounds like a previous owner needed a top rather quickly. Lead time on a recover was too far out. The frame could need a lot of work as well. But who knows. 55’s can also sag a bit with age above the door glasses. Redesigned in 56.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Check the condition of the four studs. When I inherited my 55, one of the studs was broken and one was loose. Following Gil Baumgartner's instructions , which can be found in the CTCI Thunderbird Restoration Details and Specifications Manual, I drilled out the broken stud and tapped it for a replacement stud. I used J-B Weld epoxy putty around the loose stud. The four studs are spot-welded to the frame, the area of which cannot be accessed without removing the body. My seat (all 55s came equipped with a power seat) and soft top had been removed before I repaired/replaced the studs. When drilling out the broken stud, I had to use a 90-degree drill attachment. Space is limited, in case you haven't discovered that already.