55 transmission swap

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Wayde55

55 transmission swap

Post by Wayde55 »

New owner here. My 55 bird has 3spd with borg-warner overdrive. Saw a 55 Tbird Fordomatic trans for sale today. Would this be a straightforward swap?
Jimntempe

Re: 55 transmission swap

Post by Jimntempe »

You should repost this in the 55-57 part of this forum.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

It can be done but no it’s not a direct swap. I have a 55 with OD and due to a bad left knee was considering the swap for a few years but thankfully it improved.
Starting with pulling the motor you’ll need new accelerator linkage with dashpot for the kick down, adapt the bell housing, modify or find a different driveline, find a good shifter or one that can be rebuilt. The list goes on plus your labor and equipment needed or pay someone to do it.
I suggest you call Gary Croan in Los Angeles. (949-722-1122) He Advertised doing this very swap for many years in the Early Bird.He’s semi retired now but still runs his shop. He loves to talk shop. He will tell you exactly what’s involved and parts needed. He can also give you a quote if you want him to do it.
It certainly can be done. I know a few owners who have done it but it’s a major deal. I would be hesitant to install that Fordomatic cold turkey unless you are sure of its condition or rebuild it first.
I know the shifting in traffic gets a little old but it can be fun. But I really appreciate the OD. Especially those low rpm’s on the highway.
Last edited by MarkR on Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DynoDan’55

Post by DynoDan’55 »

Wayde55 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:43 pm New owner here. My 55 bird has 3spd with borg-warner overdrive. Saw a 55 Tbird Fordomatic trans for sale today. Would this be a straightforward swap?
Unless you owned OD cars before, as a new owner, you might yet discover its advantages with practice. Of course, daily driving in heavy city traffic can make frequent shifting/clutching a chore, though OD IS the easiest standard trans. configuration to live with. Freewheeling, kicking down for corners & passing, sneaking into first while rolling, etc., etc., put the fun back in driving for me.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

If going from manual/w OD to automatic, you might want to consider doing an AOD conversion.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Unless you are “married” to that particular ‘55 you should strongly considering a “car swap”.

As Mark and DynoDon’55 noted there is an appeal/desirability for an OD car. There are a lot fewer of them.

Between the total cost of the transplant and the potential reduction in value of your current car, you might find yourself ahead of the game selling your car and buying one with an automatic.

As Mark noted, there are lots of parts needed plus the unknown issues from trying to remove a power train from an 69 year old car. There was a significant difference in the rear axle ratios also.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Good point regarding rear-axle ratio. You most definitely would want overdrive with that ratio. The 55-56 stock axle ratio for the manual/w overdrive is 3.92. The Fordomatic rear-axle ratio is 3.31. If you're used to driving modern cars/w OD, you won't even like 3.31 gears on the highway w/o overdrive.