An Introduction

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Aganauton

An Introduction

Post by Aganauton »

Hello all. Just wanted to introduce myself.

I recently purchased a '64 coupe and couldn't be happier about it. I've been looking for a 'classic t-bird' for a while now and I finally got one.
She's got some issues, but on the whole, she is in great shape considering her age.

In the last couple of weeks, I've been slowly going over the car. Seeing what works, what doesn't and what parts I'm going to need. Short answer, so far, the vac system is a mess, I've found a whole bunch of cowboy wiring and the front end and the brake system is going to need some love.
I've been lurking (un-registered) on this forum since I bought the car and it seems like a good place to get information from experienced people, maybe avoid some pitfalls. My goal is to get this classic lady back on the road and use it as a daily driver. I live in the Northern Canada and I have miles of highway to cruise on.

So, my first question and, this goes out to all those Canadian owners:

What is the situation with classic pre-unleaded fuel (and catalytic systems) cars in Canada. Am I going to have a problem getting my car registered considering it will probably fail an even basic emission test?

Ag.
Inspector

Re: An Introduction

Post by Inspector »

I'm not sure where you are but in Manitoba vintage cars are not subject to emission tests.
As far as burning unleaded gas, this should not be a problem. I strongly recommend using a motor
oil with a high level of zink in it.
I hope you are not too far north. I would hate to think you have to drive on gravel.
Aganauton

Post by Aganauton »

I'm in Alberta. And yeah I'm far enough North there is plenty of gravel side roads if I want to destroy a paint job, but there is more hardtop.

I need to get an out of province inspection (the car was registered in BC), and when I looked at what that entailed, they mentioned emission tests. So it got me thinking about the no cat situation.

Yeah, I've already done a oil change and dumped the recommended amount of zttp additive into the oil. The car isn't going anywhere soon, so it was just a precautionary change to make sure the oil had enough zinc in it. Right now waiting on the weather to change (we're currently forecasted to get between 4-6" of snow) before I really dive into the car. As it stands now, I've just started the engine to turn it over (and heat up the oil for the change), get the electric choke set properly, and test the vac system.
Lee Craner

Post by Lee Craner »

Welcome to the forum.

Here is the vacuum diagram for your '64. Hope it helps you.
1964-65 Vacuum line routing.jpg
Lee
1965 Red Thunderbird Convertible
1973 Intermeccanica Squire SS-100
1956 Continental Mark II
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

The provinces I'm familiar with all have similar requirements. No emission tests needed for our cars.

I also use zinc additive in my oil and alcohol free gas. There are a number of brands that have alcohol free high test.

Terry
64HT
Aganauton

Post by Aganauton »

@Lee,

Thanks.

And many thanks for that vac diagram. I grabbed one from tbird ranch (I think) but it covered 64-66, so it was a little bit confusing. Your diagram is so much easier to understand.

I checked my intake manifold fitting, and I only have the one port (going) to the vac reservoir, but I do not have any vac operated door locks. I'm thinking if I put a TEE before the check valve, and then run that line to my rear vent switch and neutral safety switch it should work okay. Thoughts?

@Terry,

That's good to know. I'm limited up here with my choice of fuel stations, what is your preference (brand wise) when you're buying fuel?

Ag.
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

I found a mistake on the Thunderbird Ranch 1966 vacuum diagram.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

Ag

I don't know what is available in your area, but around Ottawa Ultramar, some Shell and some Canadian Tire still say the premium is alcohol-free. You pretty well have to go and check the stickers on the pump. Don't get me started on government interference....

Terry
64HT
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

On the subject of Ethanal gas, many stations stopped selling and here in Ontario, the last supplier was SHELL who as of last year.
You do have a possible source if you are near a Marina or small plane airport. Both boats and small planes still need Alcohol free fuels. But things are moving away for these suppliers as more older units are taken out of circulation.

IF YOU ARE EVER worried that what you buy may have "corn juice" there is a simple test to know. Small engines (eg Lawn mowers) were slow to change their construction to handle Unleaded fuels, SO a motor manufacturer named KOHLER made a small tester, that you can use to test your fuels.
It is sold under the part number 25-455-11-S, it is a small test tube that you collect the "GAS" under study and some water and you will quickly know, if there is any alcohol in your fuel.
Also never trust that one fuel supplier is not a cross supplier. By this I mean, in the industry UltraMar would supply Canadian Tire. Or Shell would supply Huskey!
How do I know this,? I used to be involved with the home heating oil industry, under the Sunoco brand, which flipped to Petro Can. Our tank farm where everyone drew to fill their small truck dropped off product in our tanks in big rigs then filled the small single axle units. Our customers were Imperial Oil, Shell, Sunoco, plus others. In simple terms everyone dropped in our yard, then pulled when they needed it. We called it a blended product, do not be fooled thinking one gas station was better than the other.

Best of luck
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Unfortunately here in the USA it is illegal to use airplane or boat fuel in a car because it hasn't had road taxes applied.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

You might consider joining the local branch region of VTCI that covers your area of BC. For years I lived in Ontario and joined the Southern Ontario Thunderbird Club (SOTC). Local members can be a great help, now and in the future.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
Aganauton

Post by Aganauton »

@Raven,

Thanks for the info on the fuel. Asking around town, it looks like I'm SOL on getting ethanol free fuel, so I'll just have to bite the bullet and go through the fuel system / carb and make sure that I 'ethanol' proof as much as I can.

An 'eye opening aside'. I talked to a co-worker that mud bogs. He told me he is paying almost $200.00 CAD for 19L of racing fuel (leaded gas). Of course it's illegal for street use, but damn, that's some serious coin for a bit of go-juice.

@Abaucom,

Yeah, I started searching for a local VTCI branch in Alberta (where I'm living, the car was only registered in BC, bit of confusion there I think). The Edmonton branch website wasn't working, but the Calgary branch appeared to be current. Both are a bit of a drive for me, but I'll look a little more into it in the next few weeks.

If the weather co-operates on this set of days off, I'll get some pictures posted of the old girl. And hopefully some more investigation / work done.

Ag.