Replacing one of my wire wheels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

Replacing one of my wire wheels

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Hi Guys,
I have still not solved the problem of determining exactly what brand of wire wheels are on my 56 T-Bird. I was under the impression that they were Cokers but have recently learned that Coker wheels have 48 spokes - mine have 56 spokes. So far, the only brand I have been able to find that has 56 spokes is Truespoke. Does anyone out there know of any other brand that sells a 15" X 5" wire wheel with 56 spokes that fits the 56 Baby Bird? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
55blacktie

Re: Replacing one of my wire wheels

Post by 55blacktie »

Truespoke.
Paul T. Amick

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, Try Dayton wire wheels in Ohio. That's what I have. They have been around since the 20s.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm Hi Guys,
I have still not solved the problem of determining exactly what brand of wire wheels are on my 56 T-Bird. I was under the impression that they were Cokers but have recently learned that Coker wheels have 48 spokes - mine have 56 spokes. So far, the only brand I have been able to find that has 56 spokes is Truespoke. Does anyone out there know of any other brand that sells a 15" X 5" wire wheel with 56 spokes that fits the 56 Baby Bird? Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Photos would be helpful to ID. If you have a Kelsey-Hayes look-alike, photos of the hub (which would be covered by the wheel center cap pan/spinner assembly) might reveal a manufacturer's stamp. If it's not, photos of the back side of the rim and inside the wheel 'basket' might reveal some manufacturer's ID stamps. Likewise, with the tire removed, there should be some ID stamps in the rim for manufacturer and rim size, along with a stamp that identifies the wheel manufacturer association's designation for wheel type if the wheel assembly meets requirements of the trade association for wheels.

Example of wheel size/profile stamp, manufacturer's ID and wheel manufacturing trade association's rim type stamp
Example of wheel size/profile, manufacturer and wheel type stamps ("Fuz" Johnson photo)
Example of wheel size/profile, manufacturer and wheel type stamps ("Fuz" Johnson photo)

For comparison, the original Kelsey-Hayes wires used on '62-'64 T-birds were a 14"-diameter with a 5.5"-wide rim. "Knock-offs" of the K-H-design wheel began to show up in the '80s in both 14- and 15-inch diameters using 48-, 52- and 56-spoke wires, along with various back spacing and offsets to accommodate conventional drum brake setups, along with a unique one to clear the brake calipers used on '65-'66 T-birds. Various manufacturers, including Truspoke/Dayton Wire Wheel, Wheel Vintique, Roadster Wires (?) and others IIRC, got into the game. Given that you're saying you have a 15"-diameter wheel, what is the dimension for the rim width and the backset distance from the inboard side of the rim to the hub?

Section of stock 15" rim used on '55-'56 T-birds
Section of 14"x5" rim used on T-birds (Alan Tast)

Section of stock 14" rim used on '57 T-birds

Section of 14" wire wheel used on '62-'64 T-birds
Section of 14"x5.5" Kelsey-Hayes Wire Wheel (from 1966 T-bird Body/Trim/Sealer Manual)
Section of 14"x5.5" Kelsey-Hayes Wire Wheel (from 1966 T-bird Body/Trim/Sealer Manual)

How to measure wheel back spacing
How to Measure Wheel Back Spacing
How to Measure Wheel Back Spacing
Attachments
Section of 15"x5" rim used on T-birds & full-size Fords (Alan Tast)
Section of 15"x5" rim used on T-birds & full-size Fords (Alan Tast)
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Hi Alan, Thanks for your input. My wheels are 15 X 5 and as I recall there is a backspace of 3.5 inches. Today I contacted Coker Tire with the intention of cancelling my order thinking that Coker wheels have 48 spokes and the rep advised me that Coker wheels for the 55 & 56 T-Birds have 56 spokes. He was pretty sure that they are made by either Roadster or Wheel Vintiques. According to the info on Wheel Vintiques website their 15 x 5 with 3.5in backspace has 52 spokes, however, I counted the spokes in the photo and it had 56 spokes. Go figure. I just wish I could get to speak with a rep who actually "knows' something rather than "thinks" something. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get someone at Coker who actually knows what they are talking about. I should have mentioned that I am in Florida until end of April and the car is in Prince Edward Island. More to come.....
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

Why don't you contact Roadster and Wheel Vintiques directly?

I always try to deal with the actual manufacturer of an item especially on technical issues.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ron56

Post by ron56 »

I have a 1956 bird with Wheels Vintiques wire wheels and they have 56 spokes. Their literature states that the wheels have a 3 1/2 in offset but when I measured the wheels I came up with 3 1/4 offset. The fit would have been a lot better if the wheel was 3 1/2 inch. As it was I had to cut down the spinners for the rear and modify the locking lever on the skirts. I see the price has gone way up since I bought my wheels 5 years ago. They now are in the $750 range and I bought at about 1/2 that cost. In fact Jegs had a special and I bought a extra wheel for the continental kit. The price was around $280
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

Well I finally have my wheel. It seems nobody has any idea when either Wheels Vintique or Roadster will start producing these wheels again. Coker seems to think it will be at least the end of this Summer. I called Truespoke and was advised they would have some 56 T-Bird wheels available in the near future so I asked if I could be put on the list for one. Long story short, a few days later I received a call from Linda at Truespoke advising she had a wheel for me at a cost of $800. I received the wheel a few days later. It looks identical to the wheels on my car and has 56 spokes but the spokes are chrome on steel as opposed to polished stainless steel like Roadster. Truespoke will provide stainless spoke for an extra fee but I did not want to wait. I'm glad to finally close this post. Thanks for all the helpful input guys. Reg
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Are your existing wheels chrome or stainless? The chrome-plated wheels will rust; that's one of the reasons for selling mine. Stainless is preferable, but having just one stainless wheel wouldn't make sense.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Perfection is the enemy of good. There is a law of diminishing returns. Tons of money for minor improvements nobody would notice but a perfectionist such as a concourse judging event.
Exotics go for hundreds of thousand dollars but will never see pavement. I prefer my imperfect driver.
VTCI # 13223