Slow back windows

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Inspector

Slow back windows

Post by Inspector »

My understanding is the reason the back windows are so slow is because the ground wire is a resistor wire which reduces the voltage going through the motor. I assume this was done as a safety feature to reduce the pinch force that could be created by the window.
My back window stopped operating so I connected it directly to the battery and it went up and down just as fast as the front windows. I suspect the window stopped working because there was just to much resistance in the mechanism which couldn't be over come by the reduced voltage going through the motor.
The resistive ground wire travels all the way from the rear window to a connection point just behind the console switches. Approximately 5 Ft. Is there any reason why the length of that wire could not be shortened to increase the voltage through the motor?
Rusty57

Re: Slow back windows

Post by Rusty57 »

What gauge is that ground wire? Unless it is extremely small (maybe 28 gauge) it would not offer much resistance. Typically if there is a need to reduce voltage to a device such as a motor the resistor is place upstream of the device.

I would be concerned about overloading and damaging the motor if the solution to provide full voltage to the motor. The better long term solution is to rework the window mechanism so it operates properly at the lower power level.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Thankyou Rusty57 for your reply. I have to admit that my knowledge of electricity is grossly lacking. My Red Seal is in Carpentry. I'm not sure what the wire gauge of the ground wire is but it is definitely larger than the other wires. The wiring diagram in my service manual indicates that the ground wire is a resistance wire and is about 5 feet long. If it was a normal ground wire there would be no need to have it this long. The motor could be grounded at the closest body point. So I really have no idea how this resistance wire is supposed to work.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Here is the wiring diagram I have been working off of.
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

The world needs Red Seal Carpenters!

Hopefully a ‘64-‘66 expert will jump in with the exact details and nuances of that rear window wiring.

My response was based on a few unfortunate experiences with compensating by over-powering an electrical device. My justification was that the device was only operated intermittently and for a short period of time. Eventually it would fail. The lesson learned was the only long-term solution is to fix the real problem.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
Rt.146

Post by Rt.146 »

Possibly greasing the tracks, will help.