Color of Kick Panel Retainer

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

fijidad

Color of Kick Panel Retainer

Post by fijidad »

I bought a pair of kick panel retainers for my '56 TB.

CASCO's web page says "The kick panel retainers are painted (dyed) the same color as the kick panels - with exception of the 1955 Goldenrod Yellow where the kick panel is yellow but the retainer and windlace are black."

So, in my case, the kick panels are the color of the center insert on the seat...a sort of off-white.

I presume that means I have to find an off-white color to paint the retainers. Yes?
Attachments
'56 TB Kick Panel Retainer.1.jpg
MarkR

Re: Color of Kick Panel Retainer

Post by MarkR »

Panel color is correct. I’ve seen them done lower dash color which also looks nice.
56AE07C5-9A0A-4945-9BA5-841903595D75.jpeg
Rusty57

Post by Rusty57 »

I used the Dupli-Color Ford Wimbledon White to paint the metal strip at the bottom of the white door panel on our ‘57.

You might be able to see a color difference if you are in the sunlight and on your knees looking at where the strip fits on the bottom of the panel.

I took the panel with me to our local NAPA store to check the match. They have a nice selection of Dupli-Color products.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I'm going to assume that the CASCO colonial white is close enough. As I said before, with the different materials there is no possibility of a perfect match. The factory knew this and so did the sales floor. You just overlooked it as the standards were much more loose at the time unlike the robot produced cars we see now.
VTCI # 13223
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

Thanks for the replies. It makes sense so I'll look for something close.
Shaker71

Post by Shaker71 »

The Casco Colonial White is too yellow and Colonial White is more on the beige side. I used the Casco paint on my steering wheel and that worked ok since it’s not next to anything. But, the kick panel trim is next to the kick panel and will look yellow. Have a paint shop mix you a pint of Colonial White if you want it to match. Or take your kick panel to the paint store and have them scan a match it.
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

The color of the interior of my '56 is Peacock and "white."

I found Rust-Oleum spray paint at Home Depot that closely matched the white I have on the upholstery.

The darker one, I bought 8 years ago, and it just sat. Most recently when I tried to use it, it was inoperable. I tried several things, but it's stuck.

I went back and got the lighter color as the other stuff wasn't available. I used this to paint the kick board retainers.

I'm happy with the way it turned out, and, as they say, perfection is expensive.
Attachments
'56 TB Retainer paint 2.jpg
'56 TB Retainer paint 1.jpg
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

I also used the Rustoleum on my steering wheel, under dash and the right kick panel. The current color is Canvas White. On the wheel no problem but it doesn't match well with the rest of the interior. It's too white. I've got a couple of cans of the CASCO Colonial White and see if it is a better match.
VTCI # 13223