Battery Availability

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

hutch3

Re: Battery Availability

Post by hutch3 »

Yesterday (friday) I drove to the Interstate battery supply house to get a battery, the one that came with the 1957 Thunderbird 04-2022 when I purchased the car needed to be replaced (on the floor and not used since 11-22). The gentleman I dealt with said the 29 group battery was the only one they had or that was made. It had a six month replacement warranty.$190+ and I am happy. Joel
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

55blacktie wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:26 pm I would have your alternator tested by a reliable shop.

Years ago, I replaced the OEM alternator on my 1988 Mustang with a one-wire Powermaster 140-amp alternator; I also had underdrive pulleys. After a couple of years (maybe less), my car failed to start. I reinstalled the OEM alternator and pulleys, and that solved the problem. I was reluctant to buy another Powermaster alternator, but I recently bought their PowerGen for my 55 Tbird (converted to 12v). I've yet to install the PowerGen, but I saw at least a couple of Tbirds at Extravaganza II that had the PowerGen installed; the owners had no complaints.
I think that is a very good idea. shouldn't be too hard to find a place that can do that. Perhaps the local Firestone
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

paul2748 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:13 pm It is entirely possible that the alternator has gone bad and is draining the battery. Do you get any spark when taking OFF the cable from the battery ? If so, you have a drain - possibly in the alternator itself.
No, I did not see a spark when I took off the cable, either the positive, which I took of first, or the negative.
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

Rusty57 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:50 pm I would be highly suspicious that there is something draining the battery. I agree with the suggestion to have the alternator tested. I'm not familiar with the construction of that unit. If it has an internal regulator that could have gone bad.

Have you had your clock converted toa quartz movement? The original electric motor clock could drain a battery in a few weeks.
I think an alternator test is a good idea. The clock is original. But, the battery was on the Battery Tender just prior to starting the car and driving to to the store where it suddenly died. It showed fully charged on the test meter, after is suddenly "died". Yet the headlights would not turn on, nor would the starter even make a click. For the AGM battery, the car was only off for 10 minutes, and it was completely dead. It had just started the car about 15 minutes earlier with no issues.
TJSHEA

Post by TJSHEA »

ICON 1956 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:24 pm I found this to be the closest to fit my 56:
https://www.battsys.com/centennial-comm ... re=battsys
Thank you. This looks like a pretty good alternative and there is a store here in Las Vegas. If the battery we ordered today falls through, I will either go the NAPA route, or give this a try. Thanks again
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

The battery has an internal bad connection. With no load it shows full charge but when taxed there is nothing there. Had that happen to my horn wire. Showed continuity but when taxed to honk the horn the circuit went dead. Corrosion was the culprit. A body clamp had chafed through the insulation enough for the wires to corrode.
AGM batteries are a different breed of cat and have been around a while but still have their issues. I just stick with old school as it is a proven technology and easily diagnosed just like points VS electronic ignitions retrofitted to the old. When they work they work well but when something goes wrong all bets are off.
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I found another alternative this will fit in the battery tray of my car.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
swatson999

Post by swatson999 »

TJSHEA wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:15 pm
paul2748 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:13 pm It is entirely possible that the alternator has gone bad and is draining the battery. Do you get any spark when taking OFF the cable from the battery ? If so, you have a drain - possibly in the alternator itself.
No, I did not see a spark when I took off the cable, either the positive, which I took of first, or the negative.
On a side note, always remove the ground cable first, and connect it last. If you've ever had a tool on the hot side and had it touch anything on the vehicle, you'll know why. In the worst case, the tool can weld to both the terminal and the ground...a very dangerous condition.

And be sure to take off any jewelry when working around electrical stuff, lest that become part of the current.
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

Many years ago, I made the mistake of not removing my wedding ring before working under the hood. If you look closely, you can still see a nick in my ring where it made contact. After 43 years of marriage, the ring has worn to the point where the nick is no longer obvious. Gold is a great conductor.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

ICON 1956 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 am I found another alternative this will fit in the battery tray of my car.
The only issue I see is that you will have to re-rout the cables as the posts are reversed VS the #32.
VTCI # 13223
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

55blacktie wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:07 pm Many years ago, I made the mistake of not removing my wedding ring before working under the hood. If you look closely, you can still see a nick in my ring where it made contact. After 43 years of marriage, the ring has worn to the point where the nick is no longer obvious. Gold is a great conductor.

Good reminder. Also when working behind the seat with extended sockets. You wouldn’t typically think of disconnecting a battery cable. In this case my trunk latch failed so I had to do the extended socket process to reach the catch bolts. With half your body in the trunk you are blindly reaching behind you. When the latch comes loose you lay the whole extension set up behind you on the floor pan at the seat relays. One of those terminals is always hot. Believe me it’s a wake up call.
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

#-o Yeow!
VTCI # 13223
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

ward 57 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:23 pm
ICON 1956 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 am I found another alternative this will fit in the battery tray of my car.
The only issue I see is that you will have to re-rout the cables as the posts are reversed VS the #32.
I would flip the battery to the positive side on the battery tray, this one is sealed.
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
Jimntempe

Post by Jimntempe »

That's about 1.5" wider than the factor hold-down. Not sure about the width of the tray. Have you actually used it?
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Didn't check the dimensions, yah that would be a deal breaker.
VTCI # 13223