Dash panel and switch’s order help please

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

aa010175

Dash panel and switch’s order help please

Post by aa010175 »

Does the aluminum dash panel goes on then the headlight, ignition switch and parking brake warning light? Or is it ignition switch, headlight switch and parking brake warning light installed then aluminum panel? My aluminum panel has been siliconed on. Should it be? Looking at the wholes in the aluminum panel it can go both ways. The Manuals are not clear on the order.
Thanks Dave
Cliff Rankin

Re: Dash panel and switch’s order help please

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Come on Dave ,wouldn’t make sense to put the tin
On first ?
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
aa010175

Post by aa010175 »

Thanks for the reply Cliff. I need help in this. My Aluminum panel is glued to the steel and I need to remove it to replace the brake warning light housing. The housing spring and light is removed but the housing is trapped behind the aluminum panel and I had to damage the light tube to get the spring out. I have a replacement eBay part coming. The ignition and air vent looks like the panel hole is all the same size and you could remove the aluminum panel without removing the parts.
aa010175

Post by aa010175 »

Photos
Attachments
IMG_4962.jpeg
IMG_4965.jpeg
David Robertson NZ

Post by David Robertson NZ »

Mine are all installed after the trim. 1961 Shop Manual 11-7 has instructions for removing & replacing the ignition switch. No mention of removing the trim do do it so it doesn't seem trim is installed after the bezel.
Trim should have a few lines of some sealant material under it as anti-rattle.
aa010175

Post by aa010175 »

David, Thanks for confirming that the panel goes on first then all the housing. The 1962 manual say the same thing about the starter switch removal without reference to the aluminum ribbed dash as well. Dave