66’ Rear brake auto adjuster assembly

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

GRNTHNDR

66’ Rear brake auto adjuster assembly

Post by GRNTHNDR »

I sold my 66. The new owner will be taking possession soon. A couple issues to address. Really hoping someone can lead me in the right direction. The cable for the new auto adjuster kit is a bit too long (11-7/16”) I’m guessing they need to be about an inch shorter.I have asked suppliers to remove and measure before I purchase but they can’t break open the package. So I gambled the purchase, and lost. Anyone know where I can get the correct ones, or know exactly how long the need to be? Thank you
Rusty57

Re: 66’ Rear brake auto adjuster assembly

Post by Rusty57 »

The cable length is a function of the brake diameter. My recommendation is to find a self-adjuster kit for a different Ford model that has the same diameter brakes as your ‘66 TBird.

I know that we all have down lots of work on drum brakes over the years. However, I do find that sometimes I miss the simple things. When I added self-adjusters to our ‘57 I had to makes sure that the cable routed correctly over the cable guide and that the eye was properly seated on the fixed pin. And the lower return spring had to be properly connected to the adjusting lever so it put tension on the cable. I kept referring to some pictures other TBird owners had emailed me.

If I am correct your car has front disc brakes so you are talking about the rear brakes which are a nominal 11” diameter (actual size is 11.090”).

So look for maybe a Ford Galaxie or F100 for years 1966-70. See if you can find a self adjuster kit for an 11” drum brake. That should have the correct length cable.

I have great results shopping for parts like this at my local NAPA. They will open a pack so I can check the fit of the parts.
Rusty
VTCI 13079
redthundervert64

Re: 66’ Rear brake auto adjuster assembly

Post by redthundervert64 »

Bird Nest is one supplier that sells the correct rear brake cables (they're supposed to fit '61 to '66 rear brakes and they fit my '64). According to the '64 manual, under "Brake Shoes and Adjusting Screw - Installation", the length is 11-1/8" +/- 1/64" from the inside of the hook to the furthest point on the inside of the eye. https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dynde ... &uKeY=2034

I know that the '66 has front discs so it's not an issue, but the Bird Nest cables were too long for my front drum brakes, which had all new components. In trying to sort out the problem, I found this post on the '61-'63 forum. It has some good information on different brake shoe and adjuster component sizes and has photos of different fits. https://vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpB ... hp?t=13626

I ended up having a mechanic cut my front cables at the hook and weld them back on so that the overall length was shorter.

I hope this helps.