1965 Convertible Trunk Area Redo

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Kartman01

1965 Convertible Trunk Area Redo

Post by Kartman01 »

IMG_6085.jpeg
I have purchased an interior ‘trunk’ (I use that term loosely - it’s where the retracted top lives!) liner kit from Larry’s Thunderbird.

Has anyone ever installed one of these before? Any tips or tricks?

One question: there is a ‘suspended’ batch of electronics held by two rubber straps. The electronics appear to be wrapped in some kind of insulation and then black tape.

What is this? I assume it is not factory correct… what kind of enclosure should be there?

Attached are a few photos for reference.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_6088.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6080.jpeg
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1965 Convertible Trunk Area Redo

Post by Alan H. Tast »

The wrapped package is for the sequential turn signal system. It's very much factory correct. My suggestion is if it's working properly, don't mess with it.

As for the trunk liner, you have a reproduction one in the car that's not OEM material. Factory original was not vinyl with a fleece backing: it would be burtex with jute backing. Best thing is to get copy of reproduction body trim assembly manual as it has instructions and drawings the assembly line workers used to install when new.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Kartman01

Post by Kartman01 »

Thank you Alan, your information is very helpful!

Regarding the trunk liner, does anyone make an accurate reproduction of the original style? Is the one I purchased from Larry’s the correct pattern and material? Or is it vinyl as well?

Regarding the installation instructions, can you point me to a source for that information?

Again, many thanks for your help!
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

It has been a while since I've seen jute backed Burtex. There was a Burtex kit with a more modern backing available for a while, but now all I see are the vinyl kits.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I just checked, Auto Custom Carpets still list Burtex trunk liners. Not cheap.
I got a set for my 64 a few years ago and was happy with them.
Terry
64HT
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Kartman01 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am Thank you Alan, your information is very helpful!

Regarding the trunk liner, does anyone make an accurate reproduction of the original style? Is the one I purchased from Larry’s the correct pattern and material? Or is it vinyl as well?

Regarding the installation instructions, can you point me to a source for that information?

More than likely the set from Larry's is the white fleece-backed vinyl (note how the face of the material has a sheen to it). I've yet to hear complaints that the reproduction sets don't fit well, and more often than not the result of poor fit is because the OEM sound deadening material, which has a thickness to it, was removed and not replaced with a material of similar thickness.

My question, though, is, based on the photos you originally posted, it looks like if that's the mat which is currently in the car, that it's in good shape. Why are you replacing it: Stain? Tear? Wear? Poor fit (again, has the OEM sound deadener been removed and/or replaced)?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Kartman01

Post by Kartman01 »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:12 pm
Kartman01 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:30 am Thank you Alan, your information is very helpful!

More than likely the set from Larry's is the white fleece-backed vinyl (note how the face of the material has a sheen to it). I've yet to hear complaints that the reproduction sets don't fit well, and more often than not the result of poor fit is because the OEM sound deadening material, which has a thickness to it, was removed and not replaced with a material of similar thickness.

My question, though, is, based on the photos you originally posted, it looks like if that's the mat which is currently in the car, that it's in good shape. Why are you replacing it: Stain? Tear? Wear? Poor fit (again, has the OEM sound deadener been removed and/or replaced)?

Hi Alan.

Thank you as always for your insights on these fascinating cars, your depth of knowledge on them blows me away!

Regarding replacing the current liner, it is a combination of poor fit and stains/tears. It photographs much better than it looks.

I will see what Larry's sends me, but if it is vinyl I will send it back. The car is a very nice and highly original example and I really want to fix some of the details - like the trunk area - and get it as nice as I possibly can.

Do you have any recommendations for sources for the correct butex type material?

Where did the sound deadening material go? Are there any sources for the correct sound deadening material in the event mine has been removed and not replaced?

Many thanks!
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Kartman01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:13 am Regarding replacing the current liner, it is a combination of poor fit and stains/tears. It photographs much better than it looks.

I will see what Larry's sends me, but if it is vinyl I will send it back. The car is a very nice and highly original example and I really want to fix some of the details - like the trunk area - and get it as nice as I possibly can.

Do you have any recommendations for sources for the correct butex type material?

Where did the sound deadening material go? Are there any sources for the correct sound deadening material in the event mine has been removed and not replaced?

Many thanks!
Replacement burtex-type material typically has been sourced through Auto Custom Carpets in Alabama: of late they've taken the stance of only selling to dealers and not direct to consumers, so you may need to contact ACC to find out who's a dealer for them. I want to think The Bird's Nest in Portland, OR is and likely others, so if there's a favorite T-bird parts vendor (preferably one who supports VTCI and this website by being a sponsor) you like to use, ask them if they can source the burtex mats. Yes, it is much more expensive than the vinyl/fleece-back ones, but when you put the original burtex material and the replacement vinyl side-by-side you can see the difference in quality and how it lays down.

As for the sound deadening material, I'll have to let others speak up. Using products like DynaMat, HushMat etc. helps, but the thickness doesn't match the original jute and mastic-type or foil-backed materials. I recall there's a source for thicker material used by Mustang or "Brand X" restorers, but that's been years ago. Like anything else Ford restoration-related, you may be able to source material from the larger Mustang parts vendors and cut it to fit. Again, going through the 1965 Thunderbird Body-Trim-Sealer assembly manual will show the underlayment installation diagrams/instructions. I need to check it, though, to see if it has specification information like thickness and weight (ounce / square foot) for the jute or other materials. This is actually a good question to follow up on for OFS information.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Kartman01

Post by Kartman01 »

Alan H. Tast wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:35 am
Kartman01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:13 am Regarding replacing the current liner, it is a combination of poor fit and stains/tears. It photographs much better than it looks.

Many thanks!
Replacement burtex-type material typically has been sourced through Auto Custom Carpets in Alabama: of late they've taken the stance of only selling to dealers and not direct to consumers, so you may need to contact ACC to find out who's a dealer for them. I want to think The Bird's Nest in Portland, OR is and likely others, so if there's a favorite T-bird parts vendor (preferably one who supports VTCI and this website by being a sponsor) you like to use, ask them if they can source the burtex mats. Yes, it is much more expensive than the vinyl/fleece-back ones, but when you put the original burtex material and the replacement vinyl side-by-side you can see the difference in quality and how it lays down.

As for the sound deadening material, I'll have to let others speak up. Using products like DynaMat, HushMat etc. helps, but the thickness doesn't match the original jute and mastic-type or foil-backed materials. I recall there's a source for thicker material used by Mustang or "Brand X" restorers, but that's been years ago. Like anything else Ford restoration-related, you may be able to source material from the larger Mustang parts vendors and cut it to fit. Again, going through the 1965 Thunderbird Body-Trim-Sealer assembly manual will show the underlayment installation diagrams/instructions. I need to check it, though, to see if it has specification information like thickness and weight (ounce / square foot) for the jute or other materials. This is actually a good question to follow up on for OFS information.

Thanks Alan, much appreciated as always. I will reach out to ACC and see if I can source the correct Burtex trunk restoration kit.

Any insights on sound deadening material - even size/thickness - will be appreciated!

Many thanks!
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

I've found that the best price for correct Burtex trunk kits (made by ACC) is Rock Auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... vering,561
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige