Clock mounting Repair

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcm51

Clock mounting Repair

Post by mcm51 »

Maybe it's pushing on those two clock buttons a couple times a year or maybe I've simply been pushing to hard on those buttons all these years but yesterday changing the time, my clock fell thru...I just got thru with my repair on it BUT wow to get to that clock is a real deal....
First instrument cluster bezel has to come out, then shift lever trim has to come loose to gain access to the two lower hex-head bolts holding down the center interior bezel, there's also a bezel loop held down by one hex-head bolt that you can't see until cluster bezel is removed.... shifter trim bezel pops straight-up, three push-in clips on each side...........
NOW the reason for the post, be prepared, removing that center dash bezel when I removed the single bolt that was located under the cluster bezel, it broke in half, no big deal, I'll use a washer going back together there, more concerning was when I removed the two lower center bezel bolts, those two plastic loops quickly turned into two piles of shredded plastic on my carpet....now center bezel will come right out, Ford does use quick release connections for the clock and lower warning lights....now is perfect time to install some new 194 bulbs on those warning lights, which I did not have...... I'll get to those bulbs another day....Out comes the JB weld for remounting the clock, plastic mount on both sides was broken....After some drying time, putting that bezel back in was easier than I thought, the two lower loops was a quick fix with two short pieces of plummer's strap, worked great, shifter lever trim piece hides the strap pieces well AND the single loop that broke in half hidden under the cluster bezel was a quick fix with a washer.....All done !! looks great !! Just a whole lot of work for a 6-hour drying job of JB weld.....AND make sure you have new bulbs for lower warning lights, never know when you'll ever have a chance at getting to those again.............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977