1966 Intake Manifold

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

abaucom

1966 Intake Manifold

Post by abaucom »

I have been told my 1966 T-Bird conv. w / a 390, needs a replacement Intake Manifold w/ gaskets.
I am lame when it comes to engines but good at finding parts.
Is a replacement Manifold with new gaskets hard to find for a 1966, 390 engine?
I do not even know what this part is but my Bird is in limbo finding these parts.
Help.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1966 Intake Manifold

Post by Alan H. Tast »

abaucom wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:13 pm I have been told my 1966 T-Bird conv. w / a 390, needs a replacement Intake Manifold w/ gaskets.
I am lame when it comes to engines but good at finding parts.
Is a replacement Manifold with new gaskets hard to find for a 1966, 390 engine?
I do not even know what this part is but my Bird is in limbo finding these parts.
Help.
First question? Why are they telling you a replacement intake manifold is needed? Is it cracked somewhere in a water passage or ? VERY rarely do these fail - they're cast iron, but not knowing how the car was used (abused) or stored, anything could be possible.

Second, contact those T-bird parts vendors that help support VTCI and this Forum/website which deal in used parts. Chances are very good that they may have an original one on the shelf or on a parts car/engine. Gaskets can also be sourced through them or your local parts jobber.

If your mechanic (or whomever) is trying to 'upsell' you to buy an aftermarket aluminum intake just to pocket some extra dollars, find another mechanic whom you can trust.

A LOT of people like the idea of putting an aftermarket aluminum intake on their 'Bird because of arguments like weight reduction, fuel savings, and the 'cool' factor, but for what you'll spend in R&R of the intake, setting up the cooling system so that you can control dielectric corrosion from dissimilar metals (aluminum vs. cast iron), you probably end up getting minimal benefit for a lot of money, especially if you go down the rat-hole and start changing out parts like the carburetor, hoses, senders, ad infinitum.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Terry64HT

Post by Terry64HT »

I completely agree with Alan. There is no economic reason to change the manifold and mechanical ones are very rare. Go back and ask for details then perhaps someone here can give realistic advice.

Terry
64HT
vince

Post by vince »

I have an intake manifold you can have from a '66 428, same. However it is VERY heavy and shipping is ???. As Alan suggests this is not a common for this cast iron part, gaskets maybe, but can happen. Also you may be able to find this part close to you it was a common part. Warning is this is very heavy, maybe 85 lbs., and awkward. Some posts here have suggested using an engine hoist to help place the new unit, not a bad idea.

best
'66 Convertible, 428, in progress
abaucom

Post by abaucom »

As best I understand the stock 390 manifold has a crack. What years of the 390 manifold (mine is a 1966) can work with my engine?
Previous owner had the 390 rebuilt 20 years ago, less than 2,000 miles from now. I bought the car with about 1,000 miles on the rebuild nine years ago.
The car always seemed a bit sluggish and out of tune. My Bird is now at yet another restoration shop (#4 in two countries). Besides a crack in the manifold (that needs replacement) there is a compression issue with two cylinders. I am just trying to figure out what is going on as I am not mechanically inclined. I have some faith with the current shop as they tested cylinder compression and found issues.
Hope those posting on this board can offer insight on these issues and offer questions I might ask the shop working on my Bird. Over the years I have been learning by trail and error, mostly error has been very expensive.
T-Bird Registry #19119
1966 T-Bird convertible
2011 Camaro 2LT