67 starts then dies as I let go of key

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1967-71 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
alimhha

67 starts then dies as I let go of key

Post by alimhha »

I got a 1967 that I been working on, my problem is it starts up then dies as soon as I let go of the key, thought it was bad ignition bypassed it with a remote start switch thing and it didn’t help, after further research it could be a ballast resistor? Any one had this problem before?
55Greg&Amy

Re: 67 starts then dies as I let go of key

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

That is the exact symptom of a bad ballast resistor.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
alimhha

Post by alimhha »

Would you happen to know where it’s located on a a 67 I couldn’t find it while looking
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

Not sure in a 67 but look for something like this. Usually near the ignition coil or on the firewall.
73D344FD-1B7B-4C78-BB38-3F75ED7F4854.png
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

1960s-newer Ford products typically used a resistor wire inline between the ignition switch and the coil, and the '67 Tbirds are no exception. Usually this is a pink wire that's buried in the wiring harness. The wire heats up and builds resistance up to a set voltage point. This wire takes the place of a ceramic ignition resistor block pictured in this thread: Chrysler products typically used them.

I STRONGLY URGE you (or the person you're working on the car for) to get the factory shop manual and wiring/vacuum diagram manuals for your car. In fact, demand that the owner get you these manuals and tell him (or her) they'll save him (or her) more money than he (or she) will spend for your shop time to track this issue down. These will help you trace down potential problem points and provide repair directions.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Joymike

Post by Joymike »

Please advise me as to where and how to order this. Thanks a million. Mike
justin_burke05

Post by justin_burke05 »

Did you ever resolve this? I have to laugh at my scenario. I bought my 67 and drove it around that same weekend. Sunday morning of the first weekend i went to start it up and It was the same symptom you describe. I would turn the key and the engine would crank but as soon as i let go of the key it would shut off. IT did this for about 6 weeks of afternoon troubleshooting. Tried all the usual business. Just decided to go new on a lot of things. Carb replaced, plugs, wires, coil, fuel line from the tank to the engine (ethanol rated hose is expensive!) Anyway, I'm less informed on the mechanical side of things and that's one reason i bought my T bird. Plus, I have some help from other people i know. My good help buddies/family were overthinking it though. I asked early on if the ignition switch was the problem and they said no, your obviously getting spark. The car sat for 4 more weeks until I was at my wit's end and decided to remove the dash panels to see if anything obvious would show up. Sure enough, a crimped connection had come loose off the back of the ignition switch. I put it loosely back together and started the Tbird right up!

Goodluck to you if you havent already fixed your issue