1960 352 Overheating issue.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1958-60 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Shmeagle

1960 352 Overheating issue.

Post by Shmeagle »

Sorry to be a bother everyone but I have a overheating issue on my 1960 thunderbird I just can't fix no matter what I try. The car itself runs fine when driving but whenever I'm idling at a light the engine starts to overheat. I have no trouble with take off the car doesn't shudder or grunt sounds beautiful no issues with stalling or starting. The radiator and over flow isn't spitting coolant and I have roughly a inch or so of coolant in the tank ( I can stick my finger in and feel it go up to my first finger joint).

Things I've checked:

Radiator is pushing coolant through with no collapse on the hoses.

Checked the heat spacer in case it was getting stuck ( I now have it wired open just in case atm)

I've hit the engine with a temp gun where the temp is mounted when the gauge said over heating and I'm getting 130 degrees F, which as far as I can find is too hot for the engine to run so I believe the gauge is correct.

I've tried checking all the lines to the carb even though I'm having no issues with it in case I had a leak.

I've tried using the original 4 blade fan before switching it to a electric and with the electric it takes slightly longer to overheat at idle but the amount is barley significant maybe a minute more time at idle.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Cliff Rankin

Re: 1960 352 Overheating issue.

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Ok , first 130 is not even warmed up car should run around 180 with a 180 t stat. 1 you do have a t stat? 2 if you put a piece of paper on the grill does it stick ? It should. On old cars if everything seems good but runs hot at idle or traffic have the radiator cleaned at an old school shop. Try this ,
If you have a newer car take some readings on it. Check yourself. Most newer cars run around 190. You could have gage issues. Just some thoughts.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Shmeagle

Post by Shmeagle »

Cliff Rankin wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:56 pm Ok , first 130 is not even warmed up car should run around 180 with a 180 t stat. 1 you do have a t stat? 2 if you put a piece of paper on the grill does it stick ? It should. On old cars if everything seems good but runs hot at idle or traffic have the radiator cleaned at an old school shop. Try this ,
If you have a newer car take some readings on it. Check yourself. Most newer cars run around 190. You could have gage issues. Just some thoughts.
Cliff
My mistake on the tempature I meant to say that it was 230F not 130F. Also I checked to make sure the fan is pulling paper and it sucks to the grill quick and stays there so I don't think that's my problem either. I actually put in a new radiator because my old one was experiencing this problem as well and when I swapped to a new one it changed nothing in the overheating department it displayed the same problem as before. I do have a 165 t-stat in the car I removed the old one originally because I too that it might be this but alas no change I even tried running it without a t-stat and it pretty the results are miniscule. I appreciate the help if you have any other ideas let me know I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Ok , I think we are progressing here. Leave the 165 in for now. So does the car have a heater ? Does it and the hoses
Get hot ? I’m an old mechanic, I work on all sorts of cars.
So i don’t remember some particulars of the FE off the top of my head , that said , how’s the water pump ? Is the impeller in good shape ? Does that motor have a metal plate that goes to the back of the water pump before you install it. Someone Put it together wrong ? Let’s hope you don’t have a cracked head or head gasket. There are some
Simple test and test kits for this. FE ‘s are pretty tough
Motors. Also where are you located? I’m in Texas with 100
Degree days this time of year. Is this car all stock. Heck
Post a few pictures. Has the car been sitting up ? How long have you had it before this ? Could be some large mouth
Bass stuck in the coolant tank 🤣
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Cliff Rankin

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Well , I guess that’s all folks !
Would have liked to see his issues resolved.
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Surprised nobody mentioned or asked if the cooling system had been flushed. Buildup of gunk in the system could be enough to limit heat transfer. Search the Forum for cooling system flush with vinegar - it has been discussed over the past 20 years in one form or another.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tbird430

Post by tbird430 »

I have a 1960 430cid bird with A/C. In Texas it has always ran HOT.

If the cooling system has been flushed good, and you are using a 50/50 mixture of new coolant and distilled water, try a couple of bottles of a product called "Water Wetter". This stuff helps eliminate hot spots. I found it at Summit Racing Company several years back.

An incorrect radiator cap can cause issues. There are different lb. ratings...

Be sure your radiator has both the left and right vertical rubber side seals installed with your new radiator.

Best thing that helped my car was installing a 1961-63 Ford Fairlane/Galaxie V8 car, metal fan shroud on mine. It appears 2-piece just like the rare 1958-60 originals. One has to modify the lower 1961-63 car mounts to fit our Squarebirds, but looks very original. It is an easy modification. Drilling out spot welds on the newer mounts, and using rivets to reattach the lower mounting brackets to our birds location.

Hope something here helps,
Jon in TX.
The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. Unique in All the World.....