coolant leak from transmission cooling line?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

Detroit bird

coolant leak from transmission cooling line?

Post by Detroit bird »

Good afternoon all,

it looks like my '62 T-bird is leaking coolant from the transmission coolant lines. I always thought that transmission fluids were in these lines and not coolant, but I guess I was wrong? has anyone changed these? I can find them on the birdnest for under $100 and they seem easy to change.

just wanted your input on this.
Cliff Rankin

Re: coolant leak from transmission cooling line?

Post by Cliff Rankin »

Go back and re visit your leak. Ether it’s coming from the radiator and running down the line or up above. Transmission lines cool atf at the radiator.
Cliff
Cliff Rankin
63 convertible
64 convertible
Detroit bird

Post by Detroit bird »

Cliff Rankin wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:55 pm Go back and re visit your leak. Ether it’s coming from the radiator and running down the line or up above. Transmission lines cool aft at the radiator.
Cliff
So I got it up on ramps as I type this and see that my aft driver freeze plug is slowly leaking. leaking enough to drain my overflow reservoir in about a week. so it looks like all I need to remove is some exhaust pipes and I can get some room to work. I've never done this before, but it doesn't seem too hard.

now my next question is, what size is this plug? my '62 shop manual is in the mail. and I am reading that brass is best, and I should replace them all at once, but the others aren't weeping yet, but if I can reach another one with that exhaust off, ill replace it too.

Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.tbirdhq.com/pc_product_deta ... 2E3BE7E764
Detroit bird

Post by Detroit bird »

Quick update:

Believe these are rubber freeze plugs, check the pic out, you can tighten these down. So I tightened it and we’ll see in the AM how it looks
Attachments
84C69CA7-33BE-4B47-AD5D-26F47154EAEF.jpeg
Karl

Post by Karl »

G'day.
I have never seen one of those welsh plugs (freeze plug) in Australia before.
What really scares me is the words that are written at 10.00 o'clock, (China).
Scary stuff.
Karl.
1963 Thunderbird Hardtop
Jim Wulf

Post by Jim Wulf »

Those rubber freeze plugs will work just fine. If simply tightening it doesn't cure the leak, it may indicate that the plug is damaged from initial overtightening, using an unnecessary sealer, or poor quality rubber. Commonly available Dorman plugs are made in China, harder to find E-Z Seal plugs are made in USA.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
Detroit bird

Post by Detroit bird »

Jim Wulf wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:56 pm Those rubber freeze plugs will work just fine. If simply tightening it doesn't cure the leak, it may indicate that the plug is damaged from initial overtightening, using an unnecessary sealer, or poor quality rubber. Commonly available Dorman plugs are made in China, harder to find E-Z Seal plugs are made in USA.
I’ll be looking for that EZ seal plug then just to have on hand as a backup. No leak this morning from tightening it, but I’ll keep an eye on it over the next week.