Has anyone used an electric brake booster?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

knucklecake

Has anyone used an electric brake booster?

Post by knucklecake »

https://youtu.be/SRZ8XDNz2vU

Has anyone ran one of these iBoosters?
bigbrownpilot

Re: Has anyone used an electric brake booster?

Post by bigbrownpilot »

I love the idea; i used a Hydroboost on my '77 Vega with a Turbo Buick EFI V-6 because I couldn't pull enough vacuum at idle for my regular GM booster and it worked great! I'd do it again on my '63, except that now I have the added complication of the windshield wipers running off the power brake pump as well. I like what I see, but the obvious problem is that the Tesla set-up looks like it would not only interfere with the driver's side shock tower brace but probably hit the shock tower in the inner fender as well. Do you know if any other options are available that don't stick out as far? When I bought my '63, it already had the ACC Brake kit with the 7"GM booster installed. I had a '62 ten years ago and I literally "wrote the book" with Allan (Treozen) on the good, the bad, and the ugly of using this kit and one of the things we recommended was ditching the 7" diameter GM booster they supplied with the deluxe kit and going with a 9" GM booster. What I'm noticing is that the '63 is taking a lot more pedal force and there is a noticeable resistance when I first apply the pedal to brake that I have to overcome. Don't know how to describe it, but once it's past that little 'catch" brakes are fine, but take more pedal force. Everything else is the same as was on the '62, so I think it's the booster. After my good luck with the Hydroboost, I'd love to get away from vacuum-operated junk, but unless someone can show me and electric booster that fits, I'm afraid I'm going back to a 9".