Vapor Lock

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Dave 82 Heritage

Vapor Lock

Post by Dave 82 Heritage »

My 82 Heritage, 4.2-liter V8 keeps vapor locking. New fuel pump, new carburetor. It runs great until it gets hot.
My questions are:
1. Can I run an electric fuel pump in-line with the mechanical pump?
2. It runs fantastic until I shut it off, it sets for a while then it will run for 3 to 4 miles and quit. There is no fuel in the carb. There doesn't seem to be a fuel filter anywhere, am I missing it?

I am having a new fuel tank installed this week and an electric fuel pump. It has 4 psi at the carb ad the lines have been blown out.

HELP PLEASE!
mcm51

Re: Vapor Lock

Post by mcm51 »

Your fuel filter is screwed into the carb....just follow the line coming up from the fuel pump to the carb, when that line meets the carb., it's right there...I hav'nt replaced one in a while but I remember it takes a big wrench, like a 7/8 or 13/16 where it screws in at the carb...when dealing with carbs. always remember if your on the side of the road with a plugged fuel filter, take it off, punch it out with a screwdriver or nail, anything to punch through that screen..it's not the perfect thing to do BUT it will get you off the side of the highway.. I know, I've done it.......4 psi at the carb sounds a little low, should be more like 6 or 7.....low pressure at carb sure could be a plugged screen at the carb............mech. or electric pump ? you normally run one set up or the other, not both....my guess is that you either have a bad pump, blocked screen at the pump, or crap in your tank that's getting into your lines messing with your pressure.........One other thing not fuel related, you mentioned that it runs great till it gets good and warm, then starting issues, consider whens the last time you replaced the coil.......
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
Dave 82 Heritage

Thank you. The coil is new, the carb is new, the fuel pump is new there is no filter anywhere on the fuel lines. I am having the tank replaced, filter installed and installing an electric fuel pump for when it "Vapor locks". I will post once the new tank etc. is completed and I drive it for a long distance (hopefully).

I do appreciate your input, it is all good things to verify.

Blessings and again thank you

Dave
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

FYI, just a little more info on that filter, it don't look like a modern filter like in my '95 T-Bird located under the passenger floor board.. yours from the factory should have nothing more than a sock (filter/screen) picking up inside the tank AND like I said, from your fuel pump located on the front driver's side of engine down low, follow the metal fuel line thats going straight up to carb. but several inches before it gets to the carb. the line turns to rubber to allow you to replace the screw in filter..it should have two screwdriver clamps on each end of that couple inches of rubber hose...loosen the clamp on the carb. side (hopefully the car had not been drove in a while, fuel pressure tends to fall off over time) and watch your eyes...Now unscrew that filter (located on front driver's side of carb.)......IF that carb. filter has never been changed, it may very well be reason for that lower fuel pressure, and I have seen then starve out the engine on fuel after driving a few miles, just hate to see ya change a tank when it could be nothing more than a half plugged filter at the carb......Don't mind helping ya Dave, I've always liked those Fox Birds and besides my brother had a 4.2 '81 Cobra for many years that I did all his work on, just always hope that I can help.................
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
Dave 82 Heritage

Problem Solved!
I had a new fuel tank and new hoses and all gaskets installed and installed an electric fuel pump in line with on/off switch. I took the car up the face of Lookout Mountain (If you have been to Colorado, you will know this route) and it ran perfectly! I did not run the electric fuel pump. Driving this car now is like driving a brand new 1982 Heritage Thunderbird! It now has only 31,015, original miles on it. Although, I must admit that being the third owner, (owned it since October of 2022) I have put almost twice what I paid for it into it to get it to this point. The only thing left is to replace the speakers however I don't want to take the dash apart to replace the very front speakers. This car sat for around 75% of its life so it needed a lot of things done to get it road worthy. I used to do all of my own work; however, I am almost 77 and I don't have what it takes anymore to crawl around under and inside these cars anymore. LOL!

You all have my most sincere THANKS for all of the input and suggestions! I always get excellent input from you folks!

Dave
mcm51

Post by mcm51 »

Glad ya got it running nice Dave, I always hope that everyone enjoys their T-Bird as much as I enjoy mine. I don't think ya ever said that it had only 31k on it but I always figured it was a clean one for you taking the time to get it right. although I'm "ONLY" 64, I can relate to getting to old for some of this stuff, my friends hear that from me all the time......No problem on the help, anything I can do to help keep that '82 running good/looking good. I'm in north Fla., and I'm gonna say it again, where I live, I hav'nt seen a '80-82 Bird on the road in any condition for about 20 years now !!
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
VTCI #12973
Dave 82 Heritage

I finally discovered what the issue is! After spending a lot of money on a new gas tank, new fuel pump, electric fuel pump and carburetor I discovered it was the Ethanol Fuel! It has a lowering boiling point than non=ethanol fuel. Since changing to no-ethanol fuel I have not has a proble!

Thanks to all who offered help!

82 Heritage