Lower ball joint replacement

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
mcm51

Lower ball joint replacement

Post by mcm51 »

Last week I got moaning and groning on my driver's side front wheel area down low anytime I moved the steering wheel... so I got the wheel off and poured my 3in1 oil on top of lower ball joint and have not heard a thing since...I put those TRW non-greasable(only thing I could get at the time) in 14 years and 62K ago... My research showed Ford service joints long gone, several Motorcraft joints out there at $80. a pop, so at $18. each(sale price) I'm gonna try some Moog greasable's this time and see if they last longer than 62K....Everything else in there, upper control arm, inner and outer tie rods have about 25K on them so they "should" be ok for now, I'll know in the morning when I get into this.............
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977
mcm51

Re: Lower ball joint replacement

Post by mcm51 »

*UPDATE* The driver's side was worn down quite a bit for 62K, the passenger side was not as bad, inner and outer tie-rod ends were in great shape for 26K of wear......any members doing this job, have tie-rod boots ready cause ya bout tear them up with the pickle fork separating the tie-rods ends....long story short, with the lower ball joints done, the oldest parts on that front-end is the inner and outer rod-ends and the upper control arms (26K), NOW my steering feels firm and tight like the way it did many years ago !!
'95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
'86 Mustang SVO 2.3 Turbocharged
'84 Mustang GT-350 5.0 H.O.
VTCI #12973
U.S. Army 194th Armor Ft. Knox, Ky. 1977