1957 thunder bird 4 wheel disc brake wheels

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

ifightfire

1957 thunder bird 4 wheel disc brake wheels

Post by ifightfire »

I installed 4-wheel disc brakes and now the 14-inch factory wheels won't fit. I have skirts on the rear. Can someone tell me what offset i need for a wheel to fit over the caliper and clear the rear fender skirts?
Alan H. Tast

Re: 1957 thunder bird 4 wheel disc brake wheels

Post by Alan H. Tast »

:n00b:

Your answer may already be in the Modified/Custom portion of the VTCI Forum. While we have a current thread going on about wheel offsets and stock vs later-model (mid-'60s Mustang/Falcon) wheels in this Forum, there should be more topics on the "Modified" side dealing with wheels and disc brake conversions.
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... m.php?f=22
And, as sages in the past have said in other forums which have the capability (such as ours), by typing in a few keywords, "Search..." can be your friend.

For future reference, questions about modifications from stock should be posted in the "modified/custom Thunderbirds" portion of this Forum. I'm not trying to be harsh, just attempting to establish some basic Forum etiquette.

https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/phpBB3/index.php
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Rusty57

Re: 1957 thunder bird 4 wheel disc brake wheels

Post by Rusty57 »

I would contact the supplier who provided the conversion package for their recommendation.

I agree with Alan that you need to do some searches in the Modified forum. Tire and wheel fitment on these cars is pretty tricky, especially with the fender skirts. The stock '57 wheels are a one-year-only wheel due to the specific offset and width needed to fit properly. Some owners report tire rub issues when they use a 205/75 radial to replace the original 7.50 bias ply tire. That is only 1/2" more section width on the stock rim.
Rusty
VTCI 13079