1966 63C Q Code 428 Emergency Flasher problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

cuzcrash

1966 63C Q Code 428 Emergency Flasher problem

Post by cuzcrash »

Hi All,
My 1966 63C Q code 428 town hardtop's Emergency Flashers are not working and never have since I've owned it. That's just over 19 years.
VIN 6Y81Q159546
Sequential turn signals and brake lights work just fine, although a little noisy ;O)
I have a new two pin flasher unit and I have two new relays (the ones located in the trunk) on the way.
The two relays in the trunk were burnt out. So I assume that water got into them through the old drain hoses before I replaced the hoses many years ago.
I've checked the overhead console Emergency Warning Flasher Switch/Button and there is power to it and the light (although the light doesn't light up, yet).

My only concern is that when placing a multimeter on either of the connectors that feed the two pin flasher and to ground, both connectors are live 12v. I would have expected that the 383/386 connector ( that goes to X on the flasher) would be live and the 385 connector ( that goes to L on the flasher) would go to ground or be dead until the Emergency Warning Flasher Switch is engaged.

Can anyone help me understand why both these connectors are live please? Even without the two relays connected the flasher connectors are live.

Many thanks in advance.
Attachments
1966 Thunderbird Emergency Warning Flasher pic1.jpg
1966 Thunderbird Emergency Warning Flasher pic2.jpg
1966 Thunderbird Emergency Warning Flasher pic3.jpg
Last edited by cuzcrash on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redstangbob

Re: 1966 63C M Code 428 Emergency Flasher problem

Post by redstangbob »

I took a quick look at the schematic, they can confuse as they are representative and not always easy to follow. first I would tell you never, well almost never, diagnose these circuits with a meter. Always use an incandescent test light that will carry a load or you will fool yourself all the time. Try disconnecting the flasher warning indicator lamp and see if you voltage goes away. I could be wrong, I didn't study this much as I'm not home with my stuff. Good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
maw

Re: 1966 63C M Code 428 Emergency Flasher problem

Post by maw »

That would be normal to read 12V on both sides, once you fix the relays it will probably fix your problem.
The flasher senses the current going thru it, gets hot and opens then cools and shuts which gives you the on and off for the lights to blink. Since your relays aren't working there is no current draw to heat up the flasher.
cuzcrash

Re: 1966 63C Q Code 428 Emergency Flasher problem

Post by cuzcrash »

That's most helpful thank you Bob C and MAW. I'll let you know how I go once I install the new parts.
Take care and thanks again, Cuz ( Greg)
cuzcrash

Post by cuzcrash »

Hi All, I replaced the flasher unit up under the right side of the dash and the two relays in the trunk....and like magic it all works now ! Thank you all for your assistance. Best regards
Attachments
IMG_1847_4.png
IMG_1847_3.png
IMG_1847_2.png
IMG_1847_1.png
IMG_1846 2 2.jpeg
IMG_1845 2 2.jpeg
IMG_1841 2 2.jpeg
IMG_1835 2 2.jpeg
maw

Post by maw »

Glad to hear that all is well, and appreciate the update.
BigDaddy66

Post by BigDaddy66 »

I am just starting to troubleshoot my flasher issue. Glad to see your post!

I am actually trying to get all the lights working in the overhead console - and I have - with the exception of the flasher.
I replaced the bulb of course, and have a working bulb there - and have replaced the switch that activates the flasher. I still don't get a flash. I have power when tested with the multimeter - so I wanted to test the flasher. I cannot locate it under the dash. I expected to find it under the drivers side, and then saw a video that it is on the passenger side near the fuse panel - but I cannot seem to find it. Where did you find yours?

I saw you replaced the relays in the trunk - how did you determine the relays were bad? Or were you just taking the shotgun approach and swapping out everything.

Thanks for the post! Hope mine is as simple!
BigDaddy66
Surprise AZ

66 Landau
76 Creme and Gold