Wanted used seat belts

This area is for posting Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts wanted. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
Hasl3r

Wanted used seat belts

Post by Hasl3r »

Hi, to get my car compliant, without extreme bureaucracy, I need set of "original" seat belts when it is inspected. would need black front pal belts complete with eye bolts. Anything out there that I do not need a mortgage for?

Cheers Haz
Alan H. Tast

Re: Wanted used seat belts

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Helps to know what year of T-bird you have and where you're from (your other 4-5 posts in this Forum indicate you have a '62 in New Zealand - this is a gentle reminder for everyone to please at least give an indication what you have and where you're from in your profile and signature!!).

Knowing the year will narrow down what style the original lap (is that what you meant by 'pal'?) belts were, i.e. metal-to-fabric (pull belt through the receiver and press down on the receiver's face to hold in place and lift open to release), or metal-to-metal with a release lever or positive-latching (i.e. need to push a button to release). If you're looking for belts used in '62, be aware these were often called 'aircraft'-style as they were used on airliners in the '50s-'70s. They have a metal-to-fabric "clam shell" style buckle/receiver on the "male" side that you pull the "female" belt through. The belt webbing, while originally colored black, often fades to an olive drab-like color.

As noted above, please also tell us where you're from, as that may have an impact on what would be considered 'acceptable' in case you need to look for a newer-style of positive-latching belt.

BTW, if the car is older than 1964, front seat belts weren't required by law in the USofA.
Last edited by Alan H. Tast on Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Paul T. Amick

Re: Wanted used seat belts

Post by Paul T. Amick »

Hi, 1968 in Florida!!!