Engine running rough

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Allans

Engine running rough

Post by Allans »

I have a 57 t-bird with a 1978 302 carbureted with a pointless ignition. It has been running really rough with the engine running at 2000 rpm’s. You can feel the missing and hesitation I have have checked for loose wires. Replaced fuel filter. Inspected distributor cap. I’ll look for a vacuum leak. Where else should I look. I haven’t pulled any spark plugs yet
55blacktie

Re: Engine running rough

Post by 55blacktie »

If you installed the electronic conversion, how did it run before? How long has it been "pointless?" Had it been running well with the conversion?
Allans

Post by Allans »

The pointless system was put on by the previous owner and was running well until a couple of days ago
55blacktie

Post by 55blacktie »

You might consider removing the breakerless conversion and installing points, or test/replace the electronic module/coil.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Is it the Motorcraft Dura-Spark system? Pics of the electronic module, distributor part numbers on side of distributor body would be helpful.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
ward 57

Post by ward 57 »

Well here's a new one for you. On my 57' I just fixed my map light problem now only drawing 3 ohms and got the radio and ashtray back in. Took it out for a spin and it was idling rough, never did before. Adjusted the points, checked the timing, running better but still a little rough and the exhaust didn't smell right but good enough for now.
Refilled the windshield washer bag and tried the washers (good) and then the wipers. Nothing, and they always worked great before. Got under there to look at the system. Bingo! When futzing under there I knocked the vacuum hose off the motor. Reattached and purrs like a kitten. However I didn't just knock it off it BROKE off. The hose was as hard as a rock. Must have made another crack in it as the wipers move but barely when before they worked perfectly. The rest of the hose from the pump to the 'T' and on for the heater control is soft and pliable. Funny how one little 6" hose can cause so much trouble with the vacuum leak. New hose going in tomorrow.
VTCI # 13223