softtop seals leaking

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

RegM 56 T-Bird

softtop seals leaking

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

The seals on the softtop of my 56 Baby Bird are leaking around the outside ends of the windshield and over the doors. I am planning to replace the seal over the windshield and the three over each of the doors. I would like to hear from anyone who has replaced theirs and any tips as to how to do it and any other bits I need to order besides the seals, ie glue etc. Also, is there any particular method that works best and who has the best price on them?
CSPIDY

Re: softtop seals leaking

Post by CSPIDY »

These birds leaked new
The soft top may not be sealable
The venders, CASCO and Concours Parts sell all the seals new
Most of them are fastened down with screws
You can add additional foam seal to the replacement to get a better fit at the rear deck
But the A pillar is very difficult to keep rain out.
My back edge doesn’t match the contour of the rear deck

Oh and the best method involves a few bad words
57 D code Colonial White

Wise man once told me, "you don't know what you don't know"

West Newton, PA
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I hear you one the softtop not matching the contour of the rear deck. On my 56 there is about a 1/4 inch gap on the driver's side but that doesn't concern me as the deck is sloped rearward and outward so rain doesn't come in there. The top of the A pillars is another matter. That area of my seals are pretty worn so I'm thinking that new seals may not fix the problem completely but at least improve the situation. Or I could just wear a raincoat.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:50 pm I hear you one the softtop not matching the contour of the rear deck. On my 56 there is about a 1/4 inch gap on the driver's side but that doesn't concern me as the deck is sloped rearward and outward so rain doesn't come in there. The top of the A pillars is another matter. That area of my seals are pretty worn so I'm thinking that new seals may not fix the problem completely but at least improve the situation. Or I could just wear a raincoat.
Just keep some towels in the car to help sop up the water
and
when it’s raining don’t stop
57 D code Colonial White

West Newton, PA
55Greg&Amy

Post by 55Greg&Amy »

I think they were originally designed to leak, at least mine does. Even with new seals it still drips in. Kinda like putting a screen door on a submarine. FORD= Floods On Rainy Days.
Greg Minnich
Kendallville, IN
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

Mine does leak too, I learn to be picky on days that look like rain, Carry extra towels....
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I’ve never heard of one not leaking at least sometimes like in a heavy downpour. Most leak a lot.
It’s just the nature of the beast. Too many linear inches to maintain an ongoing perfect seal, too many joints being stressed in folding/unfolding, to many variables in adjustments...door glass height, clamps etc. A perfect seal is a one time thing. A constant perfect seal is impossible.
As stated above, carry towels, avoid rain or move to Vegas.
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

My hardtop seals very well
I do get a little from the A pillar that runs along the dash and drops on my feet
Not enough to get excited about
57 D code Colonial White

West Newton, PA
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

CSPIDY wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:50 am My hardtop seals very well
I do get a little from the A pillar that runs along the dash and drops on my feet
Not enough to get excited about
Same issue...
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually installed new seals. Is it necessary to remove the top in order to replace the seals or can it be done by just unfolding it from under the rear deck and somehow suspending it in a vertical position?
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

I did mine
No need to remove the top from the car
not a difficult job, as I recall
57 D code Colonial White

West Newton, PA
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

RegM 56 T-Bird wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:41 am I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually installed new seals. Is it necessary to remove the top in order to replace the seals or can it be done by just unfolding it from under the rear deck and somehow suspending it in a vertical position?
keep us updated on how you go, I have a set of seals ready to install when I get enthused so any lessons good.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
RegM 56 T-Bird

Post by RegM 56 T-Bird »

I finally got around to installing the new softtop seals, did the whole set. After the installation I had my wife man the garden hose while I sat in the car to check for leaks. When she directed the hose straight up in the air and allowed the water to drop down on the car there were no leaks but when she aimed it straight at the windows, both sides and the windscreen, it poured in. I found when installing them there is a small gap between the front center seal and the end pieces, I think I will get some 1/4 inch neopreme and cut it in 1 inch strips and put it between the front seals and the frame as I suspect the water is entering via that route as opposed to between the top of the windshield and the seal. As for the gap, I will try to fill it with neopreme and self leveling caulking which is used on RV roofs. I am thinking I should have replaced the seals on the hardtop instead of the softtop as they appear to be better designed. I'll wait a bit for the sting from the purchase of the softtop ones to ease up for the wife before doing the hardtop. I was disappointed to learn that the PO used self tappers instead of getting the proper No 8 machine screws with 32 TPI. I chased all the holes with a tap and installed the proper machine screws. There were a couple of places where the holes were buggered up pretty bad so I drilled them out and tapped them for No 10 machine screws with 32 TPI, worked out fine.
seany-boy

Post by seany-boy »

thanks for the update good to know what to watch for.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
CSPIDY

Post by CSPIDY »

The seals along the top of the window have slotted holes so you can adjust the seal tighter to the glass
The window winder mechanism can be adjusted to get the window to push tighter against the seal
(I personally have not adjusted the window mechanism) perhaps some else has and can chime in.
57 D code Colonial White

West Newton, PA