64-66 OFS Revisions - 1964-1966 Bumper Jack Photos Needed ASAP

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Scott6T6

Re: 64-66 OFS Revisions - 1964-1966 Bumper Jack Photos Needed ASAP

Post by Scott6T6 »

No engineering/part numbers for the jack assembly or components are listed in the 1966 THUNDERBIRD BODY & INTERIOR ASSEMBLY MANUAL. I already looked for that last night.

Scott
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Last night, I removed my jack from the car to take some additional photos of it in response to this discussion. This morning in bright sunlight I noticed what I now believe was traces of an original coating of Cosmoline or a similar rust inhibitor on the column. It was most notable in the channel found on the top of the column (as installed in the trunk). At first glance I thought it might be oxidation, but that was not the case. It was clearly old and had been on the column a long time. It was dry to the touch, yellow/brown in color and it adhered very well to the metal. Using lacquer thinner on a rag I was able to remove the substance and ended up wiping down the entire column. Once finished, the rag I was using was really soiled from what I had removed.
So yes jtschug, I do believe what you thought you had observed years ago on one of these jack ratchet columns is in fact true. It would appear they were coated with some type of rust inhibiting product when new and to me that just makes sense. I don't see any old grease on the ratchet teeth of my jack column, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that was also applied to the columns when new.
I intend to see if I can find some Cosmoline (or a similar rust inhibiter) and apply it to the entire column of my jack before I put it back into place in the trunk since I have now removed all of the original coating.
Good observation jtschug! One more detail to include in the 1964 - '66 OFS revision.

Scott
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Rt.146 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:39 pm The front of the base plate, on mine has a letter "U" stamped into it.
I believe your jack assembly was probably made by Universal Tool and Stamping. Their identification mark was the letter 'U'.

They were likely also supplying jacks to GM and possibly Mopar as well as Ford.

Scott