Speedometer Cable Removal/Re-Install 66 Convertible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Heat

Speedometer Cable Removal/Re-Install 66 Convertible

Post by Heat »

I'm in the process of removing/lubricating and reinstalling my speedometer cable on my 66 Convertible 390 C6 non cruise. I've reviewed the manual and forum posts (especially Ticking Speedometer 65 Convertible 4/14/18 438am). The speedometer bounces at 50mph and above and I thought I'd start with lubing the cable. The procedure seems straight forward enough, pull the cable from the sleeve, clean it and re-install. That's when Murphy's Law usually shows up looking for me. Anyone have any difficulty removing or re installing the cable? Any glitches? From what I've researched I shouldn't need to go under the car at the transmission connection. Thanks for your input.
paulr

Re: Speedometer Cable Removal/Re-Install 66 Convertible

Post by paulr »

It's been a week since you asked; I didn't see the topic. By now maybe you've had your success; here's hoping. If not, I've had a few experiences, and learned a few lessons. Maybe I can shed some light if needed. Half the time, the nylon gears in the odometer are the cause of bouncing speedos in this particular design, masking as a cable problem. Shout back if you're still working on it.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Heat

Post by Heat »

Paul, thanks for the reply. Wasn't excepting a problem and thought that someone may have a quick tip, but as luck would have it Murphy's Law struck. I remove the dash panel, undid the cable retainer nut (3/4in open end wrench) but now the cable refuses to come out of the sleeve, and I gave a pretty good pull on it. Any suggestions. I'm hoping I don't have to remove it at the transmission. Thanks for any ideas you may have.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Won't pull out at the speedo end...hmm. That's a new one. Tricks and tips don't exist without a look at the transmission end. Don't be concerned. It's a simple removal--one screw and a small retainer. I'd be looking at the plastic drive gear that's inside the transmission for damage, ie, possible replacement. At least you'll be able to see the other end of the cable and whatever the heck is the reason for it not pulling through.

It's interesting. Keep posting on this one.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
Heat

Post by Heat »

Thanks for the reply. I reconnected the speedo on the off chance something might change but it did not. I have the original ROT sheet which has a "K" designation for the speedo but previous research seems to indicate it will come down to the number of teeth on the gear. Hopefully, I'll get under the car later this week and see what gives. Thanks again, I'll post what I find.
losendos

Post by losendos »

When I bought my car, the speedometer bounced at 50 mph and above also. Trying the easy stuff first, I removed the inner cable, cleaned & lubed it, and reinstalled it, but it didn't cure the problem. I did not have any trouble removing it however - it slid right out. Next, I changed the gear at the transmission (it's actually very easy, as Paul said). Again, the problem persisted. Then I changed the entire speedometer cable for a brand new one. Still no change. So I bit the bullet and removed the speedometer. I used a drill to spin the speedometer on the bench, and found that when it hit 50 mph, 2 metal parts inside would rub, causing the speedo to stick momentarily, which initiated the bouncing. I was able to "adjust" those parts so they stopped rubbing and that fixed the problem. Hope you don't have to go that route, as removing the speedometer is not fun, and reinstalling it is even less so.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
Heat

Post by Heat »

Yes, Patrick, I'll probably be going the route you described soon enough. Anyway, I've been looking at the Vintage Mustang Forum. Seems they have members with mid sixties Mustangs with similar speedo cable problems (65 4 speed with frayed speedo cable 12/28/15). Seems the frayed end of the sleeve is not allowing the cable to be pulled out, sounds familiar (and there are pictures). Anyway, I'm going to check the cable for any bend or kinks underneath the car and buy a new cable. The transmission end has has the sleeve "crimped" into the metal retainer and "uncrimping" it to get a look at the cable may be more work that installing a new cable. So that's the plan so far.
Collineking

Post by Collineking »

Can anyone suggest where I might find a picture of explanation of the proper routing of the speedometer cable? While my engine, tranny and dash were out I bought a new speedo cable but the routing between the firewall and tranny is in question. Seems too close to the throttle linkage.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

All right, lets back up a bit and look at the simpler things. Over the years PaulR and I have spoken on the subject and put info out there.
Please before going any further do a SEARCH on the topic and read the others have mentioned. Lets not repeat our selves and the topics before.
Both Paul and I have experienced this topic and both are on line to help. Pls do a little reading and get the history of the fix, or resolution.
We may not get it right the first time but will get the end result hopefully.
Welcome to the TBird World!
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Heat

Post by Heat »

I sent Collineking an email. I think he may have simply been looking at the wrong hole in the fire wall. Hopefully issue rectified.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Heat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:00 pm I sent Collineking an email. I think he may have simply been looking at the wrong hole in the fire wall. Hopefully issue rectified.
@Collinking:

The tip about the correct firewall opening is key. The length of the cable is exactly scaled to the need—neither an inch too much nor too little. If you’re ending up with slack or the opposite, then you could be using the wrong opening or wrong routing. Have you seen the Osborn diagram?
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT