fender top trim - repro quality and match?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

ornithology

fender top trim - repro quality and match?

Post by ornithology »

hey gang, has anybody tried the current repro fender top molding/trim?

are they nice?

if i replace my left one with a repro, would it basically match my original on the door, and on the other fender?
other than weathering, etc. my existing pieces are excellent. but i have to replace my left fender top due to mangling.
cheers!
Jim Wulf

Re: fender top trim - repro quality and match?

Post by Jim Wulf »

The reproduction peak moldings I bought years ago, and didn’t ultimately use, had ends that were not fully welded closed and I deemed them unacceptable for the concours restoration of my 63 MCode. I found decent original pieces and sent them out for dent removal and polishing instead. The more recently produced reproduction moldings may be better made, I don’t know. Maybe someone else can chime in here.
Jim W, VTCI 1961-1963 Technical Editor
62 SR Red/Black
63 CV Black/Red
67 MGB Roadster
38 MG TA Tickford Drophead Coupe
39 Lea-Francis Corsica Super Sports
Past Birds:
63 MSR Red/Pearl Beige
66 CV Red/Red
63 CV P. Green/Pearl Beige
61 HT White/Pearl Beige
ornithology

Re: fender top trim - repro quality and match?

Post by ornithology »

as time was running out to have my '63 "Admiral Bird" looking good in time for our wedding,
i went ahead and got the repro fender top trim from good old Bird Nest.

not too much trouble getting them on, and they line up well. as Jim mentioned, the rear ends (where they meet the doors) are folded in to a close, instead of being completely sealed and smooth. but this is only noticeable when a door is open and you stick your head in there for a peek.

the weight and rigidity is pretty good, just a bit less than original, the quality feels good.

the finish makes for a good match to the originals on the doors and rear quarters.
they are just a bit shinier, being brand new. my originals are in great shape, so i don't think anyone
can tell the difference if i didn't point it out. it's a good match, thank goodness!

they've been on about eight months now, i already dinged one a little bit (pretty sure it was from a mechanic working under hood...) but that actually helps match the condition of the other pieces.

i've actually resisted the temptation to polish them much, as when i did clean them recently, they come out just a bit brighter than the originals behind them. so i'm letting the elements have their way for a while before polishing again.

overall, very worthwhile and a real life saver in terms of getting the project done on schedule. i was enjoying the hunt for original pieces, but everything i found needed work. i didn't find any in great original condition like i did for much of the rest of the bright work. cheers.