Good Neighbor Sam

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Burtman

Good Neighbor Sam

Post by Burtman »

Buried in an earlier post was a link to the pilot of television's BEWITCHED. A good sitcom, in particular the episodes with Aunt Clara.
I believe the Thunderbird used in the pilot was a '64 based on the copyright of production. It brought to mind a movie with Jack Lemon, "Good Neighbor Sam." The driving scenes were filmed in San Francisco, and many will recognize various locations including in this clip the curving part of Lombard St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeuwL29nvek

From doing research I learned the Thunderbird was stock, filmed with no modifications.
This was probably covered before but thought I'd post anyway.
TbirdIntender

Re: Good Neighbor Sam

Post by TbirdIntender »

Very good clip! The must have had some really good stunt drivers.

I don't want to buy that '64, though. It would need a whole new suspension.
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

A wonderful, decent, comedy with a great cast. Of course for us Thunderbird fans, there are plenty of shots of that brand spanking new Diamond Blue '64 Convertible that was seen frequently throughout the film.
If you watch closely, you will notice two different cars were used during filming - one having the standard Silver Blue all vinyl interior and a later '64 - '66 style drivers door rear view mirror with the bird emblem and another car that had the Silver Blue vinyl with Pompeii cloth seat inserts and the '63 style drivers door rear view mirror used early in '64 production, which is the car seen in this particular clip.
Jack Lemmon recalled later that JFK was assassinated while they were filming this movie...
paulr

Post by paulr »

Wow!!
That has got to be the most perfect argument ever produced for ridding every Bird of the pathetic skinny OEM front sway bar I’ve ever seen! 👍🏻

I’m thinking when the move got released the suspension designers at Ford had to be cringing through that entire scene. Ouch!
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
rzcrisis

Post by rzcrisis »

Love this post and the video! Jack Lemon was a pretty good driver given the factory handing issues of that 64 tbird especially with those old bias ply tires!

Brought back some memories of a business trip I took to San Fran back in the early 80s experiencing those crazy hill streets especially for me in a rental Aries K car!

Thanks!
Randy
Thunderbird Registry #37580
1964 Ford Thunderbird 2DR HT ("Thelma"-our California girl)
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

paulr wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:03 am I’m thinking when the move got released the suspension designers at Ford had to be cringing through that entire scene. Ouch!
I was certainly cringing. Our 4th generation T-Birds are reasonably comfortable, but they sure don't corner very well at speed.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Plus the hubcaps stayed on the car. With the amount of plowing that the Front end did, I am surprised we did not see a few frisbees! Will also think the bumper underside had roadrash.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible