Drip rail and vinyl top

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Drock

Drip rail and vinyl top

Post by Drock »

Hello new member here, I recently got a 65 tbird. This past weekend I went to install the new vinyl top that came with the car and when getting all the trim out to ensure I had everything needed to finish this job I found 2 little aluminum strips that were riveted into the drip rails. And I would like to just confirm if they belong there or if it was an attempt by the previous owner to help hold down a then failing vinyl top. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
3EAF456B-3C7A-4C2D-8BA3-22BD2CC59156.jpeg
222F5916-259D-471B-82DD-69C1D0DFA8DC.jpeg
A78C1E86-AA07-41F3-8614-CF04E2AC5BEF.jpeg
Alan H. Tast

Re: Drip rail and vinyl top

Post by Alan H. Tast »

YES. If you'd get copies of the shop and assembly manuals you'd see the strip, rivets and sealant were factory installed. If you don't have the manuals yet, get them NOW!
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thank you, I am ordering manuals now
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Good luck on the vinyl top install. Please give us an update on how the job went.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Thanks will do
Dansbirds

Post by Dansbirds »

As stated, yes they belong . Bit of advice I will give you from the tops I’ve put on. Let that thing sit out in the sun it will get those wrinkles out and make things a lot easier. I laid them on got them where I was happy with the seams alignment then folded it in half sprayed my glue on roof and the top let it get tacky and then installed. I kept the other side in place with the small clips on frt and rear edge so nothing moved
Have had over 40 t birds here from 57-2004
Currently have a 65,70,and 80 Silver Anniversary
jgj80

Post by jgj80 »

Does anyone know where to get all these pieces (drip rail, aluminum insert, rubber molding, etc)?
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

I sent you an e-mail that might be helpful.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Cacockrum, I would like to know also your comments on the vinyl roof info you sent to jdj80.
I am asking for alternate methods of repair/replacement in preparation to my Landau roof replacement. It will be some time later but all info gathered now will make the job easier later.
Sources for retainer strips, underpad material and such.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
jgj80

Post by jgj80 »

Cacockrum, unfortunately I didn’t receive the email. Can you send it again?
Thanks
JGJ80
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

JGJ80,
I replied to your e-mail and Forum PM.
Art
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I keep hearing that it isn't possible to install a vinyl top without removing the windshield and maybe rear window. Has anyone done it successfully and with good results without doing that? My current/original Landau top is about a "10 footer" in terms of condition and appearance, so I'm trying to decide what to do in that regard (and money IS an object :smile: )
cacockrum

Post by cacockrum »

James,
I had a new top installed on my ’66 Landau several years ago without removing the windshield or back window. However, if the window channels are rusted, which is not uncommon especially in the lower corners, they will need to be removed to properly repair the damage. And in any case, the trim around the windows will need to be removed. The trim is held in place by several spring clips, one side of which is attached to the body by flat-headed pins that are welded to the body. The other side of the clips snaps into a groove in the trim. Replacing missing or broken pins is a problem because there is not much room to work with when the glass is in place. The clips can be held in place with small, flat-headed screws, but if the heads of the screws are not flush with the clips they can chip the edge of the glass, causing it to crack. Also, the edge of the screw driver used to attach the screws can chip the glass.
Good luck,
Art
JamesR

Post by JamesR »

cacockrum wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm James,
I had a new top installed on my ’66 Landau several years ago without removing the windshield or back window. However, if the window channels are rusted, which is not uncommon especially in the lower corners, they will need to be removed to properly repair the damage. And in any case, the trim around the windows will need to be removed. The trim is held in place by several spring clips, one side of which is attached to the body by flat-headed pins that are welded to the body. The other side of the clips snaps into a groove in the trim. Replacing missing or broken pins is a problem because there is not much room to work with when the glass is in place. The clips can be held in place with small, flat-headed screws, but if the heads of the screws are not flush with the clips they can chip the edge of the glass, causing it to crack. Also, the edge of the screw driver used to attach the screws can chip the glass.
Good luck,
Art
Thanks a bunch for the response, Art. Very helpful, especially the warnings about the clips for the trim and the cautions about using screws to replace broken pins.

I've seen tutorials about replacing vinyl tops, and the essential part of the job looks like something I might be capable of doing myself, but I'm concerned about messing up the trim. I've heard that removing and reinstalling drip rail trim can be very difficult - easy to distort out of shape. Also, getting the Landau bars off wouldn't be hard, but I think it would require removing a portion of the existing headliner, which is surprisingly wrinkle free - and something I don't want to be messed up by my project. I guess I'm worried that if in improving my 10-15 footer top, I get 10-15 footer (or worse) trim and headliner as a result, what have I accomplished? :smile: Still trying to figure out what to do.

It is reassuring that you had success without going through the somewhat risky process of removing and reinstalling the windshield and back glass. Decision time. Apologies to Drock for my minor hijack of his thread.
tharden

Post by tharden »

Reviving this older thread - can anyone tell me what type of sealant to use in the drip rail (after installing the new top)? I need something white, and I can't find anything on the original Ford PN (C3AZ-19562-A). The stuff I scraped out of the drip rail channel literally just looked like common household caulking...

Thanks
Tim