Another 66 Town modification thread

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

stubbie

Re: Another 66 Town modification thread

Post by stubbie »

Privateer do you have any ID tags or stickers on your transmission that you can post pics of please. A 6R80 just came up for sale here and was wanting to compare the ID tags. Thanks
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

Hi Stubbie, sorry for the late reply, I really need to turn on notifications.
I have a tag on the right side by the fill tube/plug. The plain english stuff is 5.0L and 4x2.
For me the trans was the cheapest part, the adapter kit was second and controller was highest.
IMG_6190.jpg
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Thanks. 6r80 transmissions only used in a diesel Ford here or Ranger, an import f250 or Mustang (I think) but they are like over $4K to buy. This might help thanks.
Dunk67

Post by Dunk67 »

Any updates on the 6R80? I was considering an AOD but came across the 6R80 to FE adapters and someone mentioned they are similar sized (above the mainshaft centerline anyway), looks taller overall toward the rear but that would hang down. Super low first gear would probably be a hoot. That's how they make all the torqueless wonder new cars quick off the line I guess. Anyhow, I'm a way off from starting an overdrive swap but debating the cost, difficulty, and merits of 6R80 vs AOD.
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

Sorry unfortunately life happened and more priority projects jumped in front of this for me. Good times for me as my girls helped me go through some dirt bikes and a toy hauler we bought and we've been out riding as a family a bunch, along with home projects which make the wife happy, but not so good to get this thing finished up and driving. I'm pretty sure I'll be back on it in April/May to get it on the road. If I'd have known the break in the project I'd have waited to buy the transmission controller and all the Holley Sniper fuel injection stuff since there has probably been some hardware updates. Looking forward to progress.
Scott