New member & car - '66 Town Hardtop

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

TbirdIntender

New member & car - '66 Town Hardtop

Post by TbirdIntender »

I'm happy to say, I'm no longer just an intender to T-bird ownership, but I've caught my 'Bird!

I have some decent history on it, and it looks like I'm the third owner. Apparently the first owner or first owner's family kept it 40 years, titling it new in late '65 and transferring title to the second owner in '05. I just bought it from him. The paper trail indicates that the mileage at just over 68,000 is accurate.

I'm not sure what maintenance the first owners did, but I'm suspecting they must have done paint and upholstery, as they look great and I just don't think 50+ year old stuff still would. The second owner rebuilt the engine.

So it looks like mainly what I have to deal with is some small stuff like a wonky window and vacuum line issues.

I've submitted my membership application and look forward to joining the community here.
Attachments
IntSm.jpg
ExtSm.jpeg
1966 Town Hardtop in sapphire blue
VTCI #13000
john6t6

Re: New member & car - '66 Town Hardtop

Post by john6t6 »

Congrats & welcome. Very nice bird
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Sapphire Blue. A Thunderbird exclusive paint color in 1966. Very nice! Welcome.
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Thanks, gentlemen, and Scott6T6, particular thanks for the tip on the paint color.

I browsed somewhere over 100 cars on the net while I was shopping, and never saw another one in this color. So I figured either it was rare or else the first owner chose a nonstandard paint. I'm totally taken with the color and am glad to know it's a real T-bird correct one.
VTCI #13000
DakotaLee

Post by DakotaLee »

Beautiful bird!!! I hope my town hardtop will look as good as yours one day. :mrgreen:

This model has quite it's fair share of quirks, you're gonna have a great time! Welcome, and enjoy!
'66 Town Hardtop
SoCal
mnpetri

Post by mnpetri »

looks like a gorgeous car - great find, and welcome aboard.
Mark
VTCI # 11024
65 Special Landau #1485
66 Sunbeam Tiger
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

If you'd like to verify the original factory paint color, check out the drivers door data plate. Note the letter stamped in the plate above COLOR. "G" is the code for Sapphire Blue.
It sure looks like Sapphire Blue to me in your photo, but I will admit on a monitor that can sometimes be deceptive. If your Thunderbird has been repainted and the color wasn't changed, I'd say they went with the original factory color or a hue that is very similar.
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

If you'd like to verify what color your car was painted at the factory, take a look at the DATA PLATE on the drivers door lock face. Note the letter stamped into the plate above COLOR. "G" is the letter code for Sapphire Blue.
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Thanks for the paint code tip, Scott6T6. G is exactly what mine has. Before this, I was a little uncertain between Brittany Blue and Sapphire Blue, but it's definitely Sapphire.

I've also been able to get the original invoice from the MartiAutoWorks folks--attached. It confirms the color, along with other interesting data.

Whenever I play the radio now, I'll be proud to think that I'm hearing a full $11 worth of thundering monaural sound! :smile: And how about that 8 gallons of gas for $2.40? That was probably a deal worth taking.

I'm actually surprised there's not more options listed. The car doesn't seem like a stripper model at all, I guess because there was so much stuff already standard.

One thing that is puzzling me is the power locks, which I do have (not currently working). I don't see them in the options list, but I also can't find them in any standard equipment list like this one:

http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird196 ... pment.html

Wonder if they could have been a dealer-installed accessory?
Attachments
OriginalInvoiceTbird.jpg
VTCI #13000
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Excuse my redundant double posting above. You can't remove it once submitted - I tried!

Sapphire Blue it is! As I said that is the only factory paint color that was exclusive to the Thunderbird in 1966.

Power door locks were standard equipment on the '66 Town Hardtop and Landau. Probably just an oversight on Automotive Mileposts website...

Nicely option car.
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

Thanks for the word on the Town model locks! There's a lot of info to absorb on these cars.

My mechanic took some pics of the car--he wants to use it in his advertising. He really got the angle to make the color pop, which I couldn't seem to do.
Attachments
TbirdAtMechanic.jpg
VTCI #13000
Scott6T6

Post by Scott6T6 »

Looks like a beauty! How about a shot of the engine bay when you get a chance.
Are you certain the car has been re-painted?
TbirdIntender

Post by TbirdIntender »

No, I'm not certain it's been repainted. I need to get it gone over with a paint thickness sensor to be sure, probably. I don't see any obvious signs, but I just can't believe 55-year-old-paint would still be that good. (There are a couple of flaws, but only a couple.)

I've noticed that it looks to be identical to the car on the cover of the '66 brochure. It has not yet wafted me up into the clouds to associate with ladies in furs, but maybe I just haven't found the lever that does that yet. :smile:

Happy to show the engine. The previous owner rebuilt it, so I take no credit, but it looks great.
Attachments
b_1966 Ford Thunderbird-sm.jpg
TBirdEngineSmall.jpg
TBirdEngineSmall.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
VTCI #13000
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

I have the same car. No red band tires but I have deluxe spinner hub caps in the garage. I have AM 8 track. My interior was dark blue vinyl and fabric but was changed to white vinyl on the seats by previous owner. I've owned the car for just over 20 years. Sapphire blue is rare but it is out there. I've been scouting sapphire blue cars in the Chicago area for 34 years and have only seen 3, one of which I lived with growing up that my mom bought new and still owns. If you Google sapphire blue 66 Thunderbird you will see quite a few.
66bird_chicago.jpg
Last edited by kevindeluca66 on Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.
Sierra John

Post by Sierra John »

Looks like you found a good one. Congratulations.
1966 Town Hardtop